Friday, July 2, 2010

Bring on the weekend.

Happy day after Canada Day.

Happy Birthday to my dear friend Jocelyn! Who I will be calling.

I celebrated our country's birthday by working and then a BBQ at a friend's house. It was a very good day. We played Bocci, ate good food, and watched a good game of Beer Pong. I did not play. 

Jozie and Magnum came to work with me yesterday. No, they are not going to do it full time, they prefer to stay home and nap, eat, drink, work, sleep, wait for us to come home... It was a treat for everyone. 

We ended the day driving home and pulling over to watch the fireworks. I love fireworks. Chris... not as much as I do. He humoured me though, and enjoyed them.

I haven't been cooking too much as of late. I have been planning an Amazing Race for our department at work that is happening this Monday. I can't share any details yet - but it is going to be good. I have been doing some fast food lately - which is my favourite type of food.


Grilled Quesadilla (appetizer) - will post recipe soon


Chris pledged a co-worker a couple of weeks ago for the Prostate Cancer run. In return, he gave Chris a big chunk of fresh halibut that he caught just the day before. We love halibut. And if it is fresh from the sea - it is oh so much better.  I made a very quick salad and pan seared the halibut for a great delicious dinner. 

Mixed green salad with seared Halibut


Fresh halibut 
Mixed greens
Yellow pepper - sliced into thin strips 
Cherry tomatoes

Dressing:
Olive oil
Apple cider vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Lemon juice
Kosher salt and pepper
I don't usually measure - I do an even amount of olive oil and cider vinegar. Then whisk in about a 1/3 of the balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Add a pinch of kosher salt and pepper - and whisk it all together. 

Wash the halibut and pat dry with paper towel. Season with kosher salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat it over medium heat, and add a splash of olive oil. Heat each side of the halibut for about 7 minutes - until each side is lightly browned. Remove it from the pan and give it a drizzle of fresh lemon.

I added a bit of greek yogurt that I put a bunch of fresh chopped basil in - on top. It was a delicious addition. 

I am hoping that Chris gets a bit more of this halibut. I can't wait to try this again. It was the first time that I had seared it like this, and it was easy and very tasty.

Alright - it's Friday night - and I am just thinking of how things are different. I remember when Friday night came around and how I would love to go out. Now... oh how I love being a homebody. Is that so wrong? Am I so boring? Oh well...

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bday wishes, I was at Lilith in vancouver! I'll call soon. xoxo