Wednesday, July 21, 2010

City vs. Farm


City dog (please don't try this at home)

Country dog.

City dog.

Farm dog.

Oh dogs. What would we do without them? When we went up to Summerland, Magnum was quite funny. He would either curl up in the back with Jules and hog the seat. Or he wanted up front. Chris let him drive for a bit - I was against it - but what can I do when I am holding this?

It's a lovely night tonight. I just looked out the window and can see the sky turning all different shades of sun. Red, yellow, orange, pink. I ran to the top of street to snap a few shots. I hope my neighbours didn't see me. I have some unattractive lounge wear on. 



I am definitely not a photographer - but love to take pictures. 

Ok let's get down to business. Bidnid. That's how the cool kids say 'business'. 

Chris and I worked hard this past Saturday. I spent about 5 hours out on the 'farm' aka - my front yard full of dandylions. Grrr. Chris spent lots of time on the inside (wow, that kind of makes him sound like he was in prison) - cleaning, cleaning and then a bit more cleaning. After a long day, we were wanting to order pizza, pick up fish and chips, order in chinese, pick up so sushi - but then we remembered that's not good for us. So we went with something healthy, easy and deelish.

I am not really sure what to call these - maybe something like Grilled Chicken and Goat Cheese Sandwiches. This recipe makes 4 sandwiches - dinner and lunch the next day.

Chicken Breast and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut in half lengthwise - so that they are thin
4 slices of pancetta
1/2 head lettuce - cut in half 
8 slices of tomato
8 slices of goat cheese 
4 slices of stretch naan bread

BBQ Sauce
1 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
Whisk all ingredients together.

Sauce 
1 cup of plain yogurt
8 basil leaves - chiffonaded
Coarse black pepper
Whisk all together.

Grill the chicken on the bbq - basting the chicken with the sauce as it cooks. Cook until tender and juicy. 

As cooking is chicken - drizzle olive oil on the cut sides of the iceberg lettuce and season with kosher salt and pepper. Place cut side down on the top of the grill - cook for about 4 minutes and then turn it to the other cut side. I know that this may sound weird - but it is delicious!

At the same time, cook the slices of pancetta on the grill, just to heat slightly - a couple of minutes.

With the stretch naan bread (basically naan bread that is more rectangular shapped), drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top. On one end place two thin pieces of tomato. Season with black pepper. Top with slices of goat cheese. Place these on the grill for about 5 minutes. I added these to the grill after I had turned it off - the cheese melted nicely and it warmed the naan bread up to a perfect temp.

Then assemble all of the goodness.

Chop the lettuce into thin strips and place on top of the tomatoes and goat cheese. Then add the piece of chicken and a slice of pancetta. Then drizzle the yogurt/basil sauce over top. Fold over the other side of the naan and you have a delicious dinner.

Chris rated this a 5!

I will definitely add these to my cooking repertoire (I don't really have one - but it sounded fancy to say).

What are you making for dinner these days? 

Loves.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures if the sun set Cherz-mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl.
Lost your blog when my computer crashed....I missed you! Anyways, I am definately going to be making those chicken goat cheese sandwiches! So yummy looking.
Lisa (from running)

Laura said...

Hey girl, I replied to your email but I noticed your name was spelled wrong...is it suppose to be like that? Let me know if you got it. Thanks!