Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Everything but the kitchen sink.


My t-shirt was my 'basket' for picking cherry tomatoes

Do you ever have one of those weeks when you haven't grocery shopped, and the fridge and cupboards are a bit barren? There are the essentials - milk, yogurt, apples, chocolate. Oh, I checked, there is no chocolate. I find that lately I have been shopping for what I need for that day - and not a shopping for a week. 

For tonight's dinner, I was feeling a bit challenged. I didn't want to have to go to the store, so I grabbed everything that I could find, and made what turned out to be a pretty good dinner. I had some leftover bacon that I used, a few peppers that had almost been forgotten, a small bit of chicken stock, a small amount of cream cheese - pretty much cleaning fridge.  My favourite part of tonight's was that I bought in a bunch of fresh herbs and cherry tomatoes from my 'farm'. It doesn't really get more fresh than that!

Summer Pasta

1 box (300g) bow tie pasta
6 strips of bacon - chopped into small pieces
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - chopped into small pieces
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 red and yellow pepper - chopped into small pieces
2-3 cups of cherry tomatoes - about 20
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup of cream cheese
6 large basil leaves - chiffonaded 
2 tbsp fresh oregano
1/4 cup fresh chives

Boil the pasta until al dente. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the bacon until cooked through, but not crispy. Transfer the bacon to a plate with paper towel to help drain some of the fat. Drain the skillet. Add the chicken to the skillet and season with kosher salt and pepper. Saute the chicken until cooked - about 8 minutes. Add the bacon to the chicken and the minced garlic. Then add the chicken stock to remove some of the brown bits on the pan - that's flavour :) Add the peppers and saute for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the cream cheese and stir to help let the cream cheese melt to make a nice creamy sauce. Add all of the fresh herbs, stir all of the fresh goodness in. Then add a couple of cups of the pasta at a time to the sauce, to ensure that it all gets covered in the sauce.

And that's it. Super easy. Fast food. If you don't have fresh herbs - dried are just as nice - you won't need as much.

Well - that is it for me for tonight. Lots going on these days - it's a treat to just focus on writing about my dinner for the night. I hope that it was appetizing for you.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Chef Dennis said...

well for not having much to work with you made a nice pasta dish! necessity is the mother of invention!
welcome to food buzz!