Saturday, July 17, 2010

Guest Chef Series - Sam


Jules and Sam

I am very excited about posting this recipe. Last week, my 'Mitchell' family, all got together for our annual family reunion. Year 2 in Summerland at my brother and sister-in-laws. It was a great time. They have a beautiful place - they are very generous to host us - and we all fit in comfortably. As we plan for the weekend, one person is the 'ring leader' trying to keep us in order for the weekend, and sends out the email for us all to decide what we want to bring to 'feed the troops' and how we all want to contribute.

For the first family breakfast, we were all treated to Sam's delicious (did I say delicious?), sorry, I meant DELICIOUS breakfast. After a long, very long road trip getting there (we won't go there though), for Sam and my cousin Mitch and their two daughters, Sam stayed up late to make a beautiful breakfast for us all. 

I love breakfast. But I love this type of breakfast. It is something that can be done in advance, and in one dish contains everything that a good breakfast should. 

Sam and my cousin (looks very much like my Dad)

Sam is a wonderful person. She is fun, beautiful, loving and a great cuzzie-in-law. I was very excited when she agreed to be a guest chef. 

Let's meet Sam.

What is your favourite food to eat? anything with chocolate or rack of lamb
What is your favourite food to make?  lasagna or anything my kids will eat
Favourite kitchen utensil?  wooden spoon because you can do anything with it
If you could have dinner with anyone - who would it be, what would you eat, and where?  right now... it would have to be with my husband , rack of lamb, nice glas of red wine at the restaurant in Kauai that Marsh recommended that we had dinner at on the last night of our honeymoon. It has been a LONG while since we have had dinner alone and that would be nice!

I always love the last question. This was a good one. Sam - next time we come to Vancouver - Chris and I will babysit and you and Mitchy can go out for a nice dinner. We'll let Chris be the kid's jungle gym!

Now for Sam's recipe. 


Wife Saver
 
12 -16 slices of white bread ( I use the Italian whole wheat bread)
1 (1lb) package aged cheddar cheese
6-8sices of back bacon or 2 cups chopped ham (I use slices of ham)
8-10 eggs
1 tsp dried mustard
1/2 cup minced onion
salt & pepper
1/2 cup green pepper  ( I don't use as Mitch doesnt like pepper)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup crushed corn flakes
 
1. Grease bottom of an 11 x13 pan
2. Remove crusts from bread (I don't) and layer them on the bottom of the pan
3.  Add a layer of sliced cheese, and then a layer of ham followed by another layer of bread.
4.  Set aside.
5. In a medium bowl beat the eggs, then add dry mustard (I didn't use), minced onion, chopped green peper, and salt & pepper to taste.
6.  Pour egg misture over bread, cheese and ham.
7.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
8.  In the morning preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
9.  Mix melted butter to the crushed corn flakes and sprinkle over top.
10.  Bake for 1 hour. 

I would seriously give this a try if you are stumped for a morning treat. I need visitors for breakfast (anyone interested?) because if I make this for Chris and I, we will eat it all. And, as you know that would be very unladylike of me and probably in someway - unattractive. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you are back,14th -17th????

Steph said...

I'll come for breakfast. Do I get a hug too or is that pushing my luck?