Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy July 4th.

I just looked at the calendar and see that it's July 4th. I have known all day that it was July 4th. Have known all week that it is July. I just kind of shocked me for a minute - that it is JULY 4TH!! I just can't believe how quickly June passed. I know that July and August will go by so fast and before we know it Fall will be here - and then our wedding date will be here. Now I am stressing, slightly hyper-ventilating and having sheer panic set in. Breathe. BREATHE. 

Well just like July has come so fast, so has the end of the weekend. It was a busy one but a good one. I spent about 4 hours in the garden yesterday trying to remove all of the weeds from my beds. Does it ever end? We ended yesterday with a movie - Knight and Day - it was a good one. 

Today, July 4th, is also my friend Tracy's daughter - Emma's - birthday eve. We had them over for dinner and had a great visit. I made a macaroni and cheese recipe that Tracy found on The Pioneer Woman's website. It was delicious. I made it a bit different, not a lot different. I will definitely make this again - and will share shortly.

I also made a fresh tomato and feta salad. And a batch of coconut ice cream for dessert.

Tomato Feta Salad with Basil

3 tomatoes thinly sliced
Feta cheese - thinly sliced 
Basil - 8-10 leaves 
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and pepper

Thinly slice the tomatoes and arrange them into 3 rows on  plate that you will use to serve on. Place a thin piece of feta between each tomato. 

Chiffonade the basil - by layering the basil leaves and roll them up lengthwise and then thinly chop into thin strips. 


Please don't look at the hand in this picture - my 80 year old neighbour* would be very embarrassed to know her hand looked so hideous.  *Or me.


Season the tomatoes with kosher salt and pepper and then top the basil on top of tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and then the balsamic oil. 

This is a great salad to have with a meal or an appetizer.

Alright - time to rest up for a big day tomorrow. We have put together an 'Amazing Race' for my department at work. It's been a lot of organizing - but I know that it is going to be a great time. I am just hoping that everything runs smoothly.

Loves. 

Enjoy!!

No comments: