Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I'm back.


I'm back. I didn't go too far, but far enough - that I didn't have my 'tools' with me to do some recipe postin' while I was gone. Gone! But I'm back now. I didn't go far. Did I already say that? 

I have been away over in Point Roberts - or as I like to call it PR. My mom calls it 'camp' - which drives me a bit crazy - don't ask me why I let it - I just do. It's not a camp - there is no camping going on - no tents, no outhouses, no park rangers. When we go through the border, the US border guards ask me where I am going - and I like to say 'to our cottage'. I think, that if I said that I was going to 'camp' - they would ask me where my tent was, where the park ranger was, where the outhouses were... you see where I am going with this.

PR is a little piece of paradise. There aren't white sandy beaches, or dolphins, or outlet malls, or gourmet restaurants, or movie theatres. But there are, incredible ocean views, incredible beaches, black skies at night so you can see a zillion stars, beautiful sunsets, american chocolate bars, very very inexpensive libations, no hustle and bustle and it's quiet. Quiet! Oh it's a little piece of paradise that I am so fortunate to visit. 

While I was away doing nothing. Not literally, but pretty darn close. My 'better half' was in Vegas. Las Vegas. I am pleased that he made it home safely. No bumps or bruises. No jail time. And he didn't spend our life savings or wedding fund on one roll of the dice. If he did - I probably would have had to have called off the wedding.

Speaking of wedding - the bridesmaid dresses have arrived. And they are beautiful. I am very excited! I can't wait to see all the maids in them. Ha. It's funny to call them maids. I guess it's better than calling them BM's which is what I usually refer to them as. My girls. My bridesmaids. My BM's.

While I was off, living it up - reading magazines and watching the waves and my pups raising chaos around the neighbours, I did do a little bit of cooking. Not too much. Dinner one night for my mom and I and then the 2nd Annual Appetizer Party - please help Jules come up with a different name for it - we had 18 (I think) in for appy's and libations. I will post the recipes once I get the pictures.  

Right now I am sitting on my Royal Canadian on the lounger under the umbrella. It's a hot afternoon. The Weather Network says that it is only 19 right now - 66 F. I think that they are wrong. I am guessing 24-25. I don't have a nice cool summer recipe that I can post that would satisfy your tastebuds for tonight without having to turn the stove on - but this is a delicious recipe that is just in time for the long weekend - and making a breakfast that anyone would enjoy.

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinammon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin 

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and add to the milk and melted butter. And in another bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the pumpkin to the wet ingredients and stir together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir everything together so that it is all incorporated. 

Before ladling them on the griddle, you may want to taste for sweetness. I didn't want ours too sweet because the maple syrup would sweeten them up. 

Ladle them on the griddle, flipping when they start to bubble, and serve hot. 


We really liked these. Chris gave them a 5!

If you are not a fan of pumpkin pie - try adding fresh blueberries, raspberries or blackberries. Deelish. You can find the basic recipe HERE.

Alrighty - enjoy the sun. I have missed you - and promise to get some pics and recipes of the PR, aka Cottage, aka 'not camp' up soon.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Gabi said...

Wow! These look scrumptious. I am a bit too lazy to go through so much cooking effort in the morning though, so I will have to save these for a weekend or special occasion.

PR sounds so wonderful though! And it is kind of neat that you have to drive through Canada to get there. My future sister-in-law lives in Seattle and loves wilderness. I will have to tell her about it.

Tracy said...

welcome back friend.

p.s. please don't go away again. ever.

the end

T :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry , I like to call it camp, don't know where cottage comes into it,anyway I loved having you visit, and the Appies night was a complete success, Cheyl did it all, I was in the way, Many compliments about the food and of my darling daughter. It was a great time had by all, thanks Hon, I love you.