Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oh how I love thee.



I LOVE onion rings. I would marry them if I could find someone to marry me. And how convenient would that be? I can wear them on my fingers. I don't really remember when I started to love them. I just know that if I am somewhere and they are on the menu, I am going to order them. Don't worry, I don't eat them everyday or anything like that. I wouldn't if I could either. I really wouldn't. Well, I am pretty sure that I wouldn't. I mean, well I just hope that I never have to be put into that position. 

Years ago, when my nephews were just starting baseball my sister would often call me to ask if I was coming to watch. I would hum and hah, and then ask what time, how long, and then I would casually throw in 'does the concession have onion rings'. At one point she had to ask if I was really wanting to go to the games to watch the boys play or eat onion rings. Hello! Isn't it obvious??

Anyways, I found a recipe for baking onion rings in the oven. THE OVEN!!! I am afraid to deep fry anything - so when I found this, it was like my birthday, Christmas, Easter, last day of school all in one! If you like onion rings, or LOVE them, you have to try these. I am not trying to tell you what to do or anything - but seriously these are DELICIOUS. 

I made these two days in a row. Don't worry - I am not addicted and making them daily. I had extra rings left over and a bit of buttermilk and I wanted to try using a different 'breading'. 

Onion Rings

2 medium sized onions
4 cups of ritz crackers (about one box)
1/2 cup and 2 tbsp of flour
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup of buttermilk
Cooking spray

Pre-heat oven to 450.

Place the ritz crackers in a food processor and blend until fine.

Peel the onions and slice into 1/2 inch thick rings. Put them into a sealable bag and add 2 tbsp of the flour. Toss to coat the onions in the flour. Set aside.

In a bowl add the buttermilk and flour and whisk to blend together, season with kosher salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl add the ritz crumbs and cayenne pepper. 

Either spray a cooking sheet, or line a cooking sheet with parchment paper. 

Dip an onion ring (one at a time) in the buttermilk mixture, and then the ritz crumbs. Place them on the baking sheet. Once they are all on the baking sheet, use cooking spray to spray the tops of the onion rings (just one side) and then bake in the 450 oven for 20 minutes. 

I tried them tonight again, and instead of using the ritz crackers, I used panko bread crumbs. They weren't bad but they weren't as flavourful as last nights. I think that the panko bread crumbs were a bit too coarse and made the rings a bit dry. I think that I would try them again and maybe throw them in the food processor to make them a little more fine. And then I would add a bit of seasoning.  


I really would love to hear from anyone who tries these and tell me if they are as delicious as I think they are. 

Alright run! Grab them onions. Grab them crackers. Grab that buttermilk. And go to town. Run!!!

Loves.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read your last two days and I want you to know how proud of you I am. We'll have to try the onion rins at camp for sure. Love you