Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer soup.

I am having one of those moments - a song - a simple song - and how many memories it brings.
My brother and SiL use this site - Grooveshark - and a guy at work reminded me of it the other day. It is the best site! You can find anything - create playlists - it's similar to iTunes - you just don't download the music.

Anyways... my dad used to love 'Seven Spanish Angels'. I found it last night - and have been listening to it over and over (that and 'Love the way you lie' by Eminem and Rhianna). My dad loved that song. It's a sad song, but a beautiful one. Ray Charles and Willie Nelson. Anyways - I am picturing my dad laying on the floor, with his headphones on and the music blaring through the speakers at the same time. Oh to have that moment back.

I have been busy in the evenings - my 'farm' is taking up a bit of time. I am loving the sun - it's so nice to have some beautiful weather for a change. 

I made this soup as an appetizer one night when Jules came for dinner. It was a quick recipe - I had an opened can of canned tomatoes that I needed to use, and lots of fresh basil. I will definitely make this again - and think that it would be nice to also let it cool and serve it chilled.

My Tomato Soup

1 (540ml) can of Diced Tomatoes
3 large garlic cloves - roasted
1 small onion - chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
Fresh basil - lots of it
Kosher salt and pepper
Plain yogurt - for garnish

In a pan saute the onion for 7 minutes. Add the white wine and let onions absorb in some of that goodness. Add the tomatoes, the roasted garlic, the sauteed onions and fresh basil to a blender and blend until there is a smooth consistency. Poor the blended tomatoes to a pot and add the chicken stock. If you would like the soup not as thick, add a bit more stock. Season with kosher salt and pepper.

Serve in a small bowl with a dollop of thick (greek style) plain yogurt on top. 

If you want to serve this chilled, you can simply remove the soup from the pot to a serving bowl and let it chill in the fridge.

Well friends that is it for me for tonight.

I hope you're enjoying the fantastic sun!

Loves.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Gabi said...

Do you have a real farm? Or is it a backyard project? I have been reading The Backyard Homestead lately and now I want chickens :)

I love summer soups! I made a whole menu of them last summer. It was actually a really interesting challenge to find soups that didn't require any cooking. If you want to try something a little different, here is a champagne watermelon soup recipe.