Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Guest Chef - Auntie Babs - Ribs, ribs, ribs


Meet My Auntie Babs.

Babs is an amazing chef. 

Babs is my dad's younger sister.

Babs is a mom, a grandma, an aunt, a sister, a sister-in-law, a daughter, a successful business woman, a friend. Growing up, we would only see her once a year, maybe twice. We always knew that although she wasn't close to us physically that she was a very special person to my dad - and he made us sure that we knew how special. My dad had a huge amount of respect for her, so does my mom. 

When my dad was sick, she became a constant in our lives and was there for all of us, no matter what. Our relationship has developed so much over the years, and I like to think that I have the relationship with her, that I want to have with my nephews and nieces. She has always instilled that family is important, the most important thing. She has wonderful stories of my dad and grandparents, and we are truly blessed to have those stories.

I also share a love of cooking with my aunt. I have learned so much from her over the years and absolutely love sharing recipes with her. She is an incredible cook. She uses fresh and local ingredients, likes quick and simple recipes with bold flavours. She always has something to serve when anyone comes over and can whip it up in minutes. 

Let's get to know her more:

What is your favourite dinner eat?
I have two: rack of lamb encrusted in garlic crumbs and herbs; and a huge lobster with drawn butter.

What is your favourite dinner to make?
I have a fish chowder that takes forever. Full of fresh fish and veggies. And a fillet of beef would be another - baked at 500 degrees for 10 minutes no matter what the size.

If you could have dinner with anyone, anywhere, what would it be, who with and where?
My family, on my deck at Hood Point. A big rib bake with salads, fresh corn on the cob, and sherbet cones for dessert.

What is your favourite kitchen utensil?
Chopping knife.

My aunt's recipe is her Ribs. They are unreal. Seriously. I made these a couple of weeks ago, and Chris loved them. He likes Babs' more - and rates them a 15+. They are easy to make, but no one will need to know that you didn't slave away all day. Roll up your sleeves, get a bib, tie your hair back, and dig in.

Auntie Babs' Ribs

2 racks of baby back ribs
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of ketchup
4 cloves of garlic - minced

Mix the sugar, vinegar, ketchup and garlic together - this will be the sauce for the ribs.

Pre-heat the oven to 450. Put the rib strips in a roasting pan. Fill the pan 3/4 of the way up the sides with water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1.5 hours. Drain the ribs prepare the grill to bbq.

Place the ribs on the grill and cover them in the bbq sauce and grill for about 10-15 minutes.

Summer is still here - so you should really give these a try. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks Auntie Babs for being one of my guest chefs. I have learned so much from you, and look forward to so many more foodie conversations with you.

Loves.

Enjoy!



No comments: