Thursday, August 5, 2010

Home sweet home.


It is 6 years today, that Chris and I purchased our wee little home. 6 years! I can still remember that day as if it were just yesterday. It was such an exciting time - such a big accomplishment for the both of us - I was so proud of us, and still am. 



I like to refer to my yard as my 'farm', but it's not really. It keeps me busy, and we love spending time in our backyard enjoying the deck. We have a safe and good space for our dogs. We have wonderful neighbours (except the person living kitty-corner to me in the backyard that I think may be coughing up a lung). We are so central, and were so happy that we sticked to finding something within Victoria city limits. 

We have made little changes and updates since we have been here - but have still so much to do. We have painted, we have put on a new roof, we have replaced the water heater (we didn't have a choice), we replaced the oil heater, we took over the suite downstairs - aka Suite B, we have replaced all of the appliances (both up and down), we have redone the downstairs computer/pantry area, we have bought a bit of new furniture and a few other things I'm sure. There are still so many other things that I would like to do. Oh my. New kitchen counters, kitchen painted, redo the master bedroom, new toilets, new vanities, redo the living room, new blinds, paint, gardens.... Oh my, too much to comprehend. If I win the lotto I can do all of this stuff - but then we could find that farm that I have been thinking of.

Let's talk about some food now.

I saw a picture of something like this yesterday online. It wasn't the same, but the avocado was the base, and they were made to form and layer all together. They were very easy to prepare - and extremely refreshing and delicious. 

Avocado, Prawn and Tomato Towers

1 avocado - cut into small chunks
4 large tiger prawns - cooked
5 cherry tomatoes - cut into 4 pieces each
2 tbsp red onion - finely chopped
Kosher salt and pepper
This is enough ingredients for 1. Simply double ingredients, triple or quadruple or even eightuple if there are 8 for dinner. 

Using a round cookie cutter, or biscuit cutter (something that is hollow on both ends), line with wax paper or parchment paper. Let the paper sit up about 3 inches high. If you have the metal rings for molds - use those - and then tell me where I can find them :)

Place the avocado into the bottom of the dish. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Gently press the avocado into the edges of the dish to help mold the base.

Place the 4 prawns to cover the avocado, with the outside of the prawns on the outside. 

Chop the tomatoes and add the onions. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes to the top of the prawns. 

Place the towers in the fridge and let them set. Ideally they should sit for about 30 minutes.

Now these aren't the greatest pictures. They don't do them justice. Chris rated these a 14!!!

They are so fresh, so flavourful. All of the natural flavours of the ingredients work so nicely together and accentuate each other.

The weekend is oh so close. Tomorrow is the opening of 'The Other Guys'. I can't wait. I get to see my Hollywood Husband. So exciting.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your flowers look amazing Chers, as did that dish you prepared. I can't believe it has been six years since you bough the house, you have made it so cozy inside and beautiful outside, you forgot to mention the gates you added. I am so proud of you and Chris, Love you.

Kate Morgan Jackson said...

So fresh and beautiful - I have a similar recipe with crabmeat that you reminded me of...great for summer!