Sunday, August 15, 2010

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Seriously - get out, it's hot in there.


It's been hot here. hot. HOT. HOTTTTTT. I am not complaining. I  promise. I really am not. I do love the heat - because it's summer, and summer only comes once a year. And, because we have not had the greatest summer, so this heat is a treat. Hey, that rhymes. 

It probably sounds like I am complaining when I say things like 'I am sweating to death', or 'I think that I may die because it's so hot', or 'Chris please run me an ice cold bath?', or 'Chris can you drive me around for an hour in the air conditioned truck?'. I don't really say things like that when I am hot. Ok, I may have said the first one once. Actually probably the second too. And, when I am delirious because it is so hot, I may have said the latter two. But who's keeping track? I'm not because it's too hot.

When it is hot like this, I don't feel like cooking. I feel instead like sitting down in Suite B, eating Smartfood popcorn and never leaving. 

I find that when it is hot on days like this, that we have to be good to ourselves and make easy, light dinners that don't involve a lot of effort. Even better, find things that you can make for dinner that are easy, light and that someone else can help with. For us, burgers on the barbeque are a delicious and an easy choice (mostly b/c Chris does the bbq'ing). I made Ground Turkey Burgers for myself, and Chris some juicy beef burgers. I never really make the same burgers twice, but lately I have been loving adding a bunch of fresh herbs (sage this time round), garlic and lots of parmesan, dried oregano, some ketchup and that's it. 

To 'spice' them up this time, I added a bunch of fresh herbs to mayo - to serve as a garnish. This was delicious!!!


Fresh Herb Burger Mayo

1/3 mayonnaise - I use Hellman's non-fat 
2 tbsp fresh chives - chopped very fine
2 tbsp fresh basil - finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh oregano - finely chopped
2 tbsp red onion - finely chopped
Black pepper

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Keep cool until serving. Serve on one side of a grilled hamburger bun. 

I really liked this as an accompaniment to the burger. It was extremely fresh, and tasted delicious. Chris rated this a 5!

Then to keep things cool and sweet. I place 3 fresh grapes on small skewers and then placed them in the freezer for the day. I served them with ice water - they looked so pretty - and were very refreshing.

Well, I hope that you are managing the heat. Enjoy it, as it will be winter before we know it.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Sage from the plant I gave you?
:)