Sunday, August 15, 2010

Let's chat about eggs.

wakey wakey.

I am up early this beautiful, sunny morning. Not by choice though. Well, I guess it is in a sense. I could have made myself fall back to sleep, but just couldn't do it.

Picture this: 6:40 AM - Ogre is meowing outside of my window. We have a little ledge outside of our bedroom window that he climbs on to and scratches the screen if we don't let him in after his 7 demands. So, after his 6th, I shuffle to the front door and let him in.

6:55 AM - Ogre is now in the house and has eaten his breakfast and is gently telling me that he wants out. His meows start out quietly, almost cute, and then they become more demanding. If I don't get up and let him out after his 12th meow, he then uses the chair in the living room as his scratch pad. I shuffle out of bed again, and let him out.

7:05 AM - back to sleep, almost. Then, I hear screams, crashes, dogs barking (not mine - they some how sleep through it all), and then a lot of mumbling. I, once again shuffle out of bed. Look out the window - and see two adults - a male and a female. The male is getting off the ground, pulling off the bike that was on top of him. The female is laying on the road after (plummeting, I assume) from one of those carriers that joggers use to push kids in when they are running. Uh huh. So, after assessing the situation with one eye open - it looks as though the guy was riding his bike, pulling a child size jogger carrier with a woman in it by a bungy cord. What the heck??? She was alright - after a lot of 'EFF' words by the woman, and the guy standing about 5 feet away telling her that she is ok, and that she has to push the cart because he won't be pulling her anymore. Uh, maybe you should have thought about that before the first time you tried your makeshift getup. Oh my. There's never a dull moment 'round this place.

Alright - so I am up. 

Let's chat about eggs. Why not - it's early enough. Chris works with a woman who has her own chickens that give her the most incredible eggs. I am serious - they are incredible. Two years ago, the first time Chris brought some home - I made Rhubarb Custard Pie - with them and they made a huge difference. I'm serious! At first I couldn't figure out why they turned out so perfectly - and I realized it was the eggs. The custard was a gorgeous yellow, and so creamy. Fresh, free range, organic eggs are absolutely the best. 

Soft boiled eggs

Eggs
Boiling Water

Bring a pot of water to a boil. With a slotted spoon, gently place the eggs in the water. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove the eggs from the water and dry the shells off. Using a egg cup or a shooter glass, place the egg in, and with a sharp knife, gently cut the top off. And then serve with some toast for dipping. Pure perfection.



After breakfast, I headed to the beach with my neighbour and her pups for a dog walk. 

So, although my day started with a bit of unwanted chaos - the dog walk made up for it. Now I will spend the rest of the day trying to stay cool. It's hot. Humma humma HOT!

Loves.

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try starting your day at 5:00am with Oscar, he really wants out, and you have to let him or he scratches he carpet, fun, but alas, Oscar is home again, as is Haddy. A little bit more relaxing Mom

Jenny said...

Your eggs even look amazing...
I love your blog. I look forward to reading it nightly.

Gabi said...

This sounds so delicious! My fiance always completely overcooks the eggs, but I prefer them soft boiled. Have you tried them with a spicy tomato sauce life harissa? Totally heavenly.