Thursday, August 19, 2010

Smile.

For my birthday this year, Chris spoiled me rotten, and gave me a Canon video camera. I was so surprised. I was not expecting it at all. I was expecting a hug, maybe a card, but a video camera, nope. He is one spoiler. I am still trying to figure it out. At this point, we only know how to put the pictures and videos on his PC, and not my laptop. Hopefully we sort that soon. Anyways, it takes amazing pictures. Here are a few:

Gladiolas - they always remind me of my dad. 
Blueberry addiction.

Eggs. Beautiful eggs.
Thinly sliced summer squash - used for a summer lasagna - will share recipe soon.

I am not sure what is going on these days, but I am struggling a bit to come up with dinner ideas. Most nights I would like to make toast. Or a pizza (not the homemade kind). Or chocolate. Or cheese and crackers. I haven't done that yet... well the pizza one yes... but the others, I am practicing self control.

One night this week, I made this. You're probably asking - 'Why doth thou use the oven when it is 30 degrees out?' Please don't talk like that. No one knows what 'doth' means. I did use the oven because of my addiction to Sabrina's EGGS. Sometimes, during the week, it's just easy to whip something up in one dish, and then just shove it in the oven and sit on your Royal Canadian while it is baking. 

I did barbeque a feast a couple of weeks ago. I did a grilled buttermilk chicken inspired from Real Simple and some new potatoes with blue cheese. These were both extremely easy dishes, and something that I am happy to have added them to the recipe box.

Grilled Buttermilk Chicken

4 chicken breasts (bone in) - cut in half
6 chicken legs
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
4 cloves of garlic - minced
Fresh thyme and rosemary - chopped - 1 to 2 tbsp each
Kosher salt and pepper

In a bowl, mix the buttermilk, garlic and fresh herbs together, season with kosher salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a ziploc bag and then pour over the buttermilk mixture. Let the chicken marinade for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Remove the chicken and place the pieces on a oiled grill. Grill over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. 

The chicken is incredibly moist and full of flavour. If you don't have a grill, this chicken could be easily cooked in the oven.

Chris rated this a 4. 


New potatoes with Blue Cheese

If you are looking for an easy, delicious and flavourful side dish,  you should try these.  

10-12 small to medium sized white potatoes - these are in season right now - so finding them at a local market will make these even better.
Olive oil 
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup blue cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 425. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the potatoes to ensure that they are lightly covered. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for approx. 45 minutes - or until potatoes are cooked. Reduce the oven to 300.

Remove from the oven and cut an X on the top each potato. Do not cut all the way through. Spoon a small spoonful of the blue cheese in the top of the X. Place the potatoes back on the baking sheet and heat for 5 minutes to let the blue cheese melt. 

And that's it! The flavour of the potatoes are warm, cozy and comforting. The blue cheese is a savoury addition to make these potatoes burst in  your mouth. 

Chris did not love these because of the blue cheese. He is not a fan. I will make these again and use gruyere or even cheddar. I will make him like these if it's the last thing I do. I hope he's reading this - b/c he will be shaking in his boots. 

Just kidding. I have so much more to do than make Chris love these potatoes. Stuff like plan a wedding. Each time I say that I stress just a bit more. It's pretty much 3 months away. What I thought would take forever isn't. It's just around the corner. Breathe! BREATHE!!! 

Alright friends, it's almost the weekend. I hope you have big plans. I am hoping off the rock for the night to see my brother and his wee'ins. Can't wait.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Gabi said...

Ugh.. my wedding is only like a month in a half away and I am woefully unprepared. I have to start making six bridesmaids dresses before heading to Seattle for #IFBC next weekend.

C. Mitchell said...

That is so exciting! Is it a big wedding? I am hoping to be there for the IFBC, but family matters have come up and I may not be able to. I would love to meet you in person. c.