Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer fruit addictions

It's around this time of the year that I remember just how much I love summer. Not only is it the beautiful weather (although Victoria has been lacking a bit in that area this summer) but it's bbq's with friends and families, it's sitting out on the deck with a cold beverage in hand, it's summer weddings, it's my birthday [ :)~ , and one of the best reasons - is all of the amazing fresh fruits and vegetables that are around for such a short time. I love them. I HEART THEM A LOT!

Before I get into my love affair with all of the treats that I picked up at the Root Cellar on Saturday, I wanted to share a few photos of the wedding. 

Steve and Alanna are married!! Chris works with the both of them, so we have known them for the last couple of years. It was a beautiful wedding. Absolutely perfect. They were married overlooking the water at the Laurel Point Inn. The reception was inside - and it was so lovely. Alanna was stunning. Steve, incredibly handsome. When we first walked in and saw him - he gave Chris a hug - and I got all teared up. He was just so cute - and looked so happy. I love weddings. I love everything about them. But right now, I seem to love them just a little bit more. I can't wait until ours. I want to have fun with all of the planning because I know that the day will go by so quickly and I want to enjoy all of it. Tonight Chris and I are sitting down with a nice cold Henry Weinhard's in hand - and we're going to confirm our guests. We want it to be small and intimate - so it's going to be a challenge because we would love everyone we know to be there.

Here are a few photos from the day.




Summer fruit. Yum. I found a bunch of incredible fruit at the Root Cellar on Saturday. All Okanagan deliciousness. I also got some incredible blueberries from Ladner and some of the sweetest cherry tomatoes from a farm in Delta. They were all used in recipes that I made for my GF party. I was so excited to prepare dishes with fresh, and somewhat local ingredients. For dessert, I made baked fruit and served it warm over vanilla ice cream. If you would like the recipe - you can find it HERE

Last summer, I made a very similar dish, but we made a 'crumble' or 'dumplings' to go on top. I haven't always loved baked fruit, but I love doing it this way - a bit of honey drizzled on top - I find that it brings out the natural sweetness of all of the fruits - and they all meld together so wonderfully.

My mom and I found the recipe in my grandma's old, very old, Blue Ribbon cookbook. The recipe book has been at PR (not camp, nice try) for many, many years. My mom brought it over with her this time for me to take a look at, and it's pretty special. I love these old books.

Summer Fruit with Dumplings

Essentially I used this recipe (the fruit may have been a bit different) - but we used a lot (I mean a lot) of fresh blackberries from PR (not camp, nice try)

Dumplings
2 cups of flour - you can use whole wheat - or white - or a  mix of both
4 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp of butter (the recipe book calls for shortening)
3/4 cup of milk
1/2 cup of applesauce 

In a bowl add all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients and then mix everything together. Traditionally you should roll out the doll and cut the dough; however, that is a lot more work, and dumplings are meant to be delicious and easy (well for me anyways). 

Place the dough into 6-8 clumps (for a lack of a better word) on top of the unbaked fruit. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Keep an eye on them so to not over cook. The recipe book doesn't say what temperature to bake them at, or how long. So it was a guess for us. But it turned out deliciously and I am definitely going to make this, this summer too.

Serve with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream

Alright - I am off to make dinner. Steph made steaks a couple of weeks ago and said that she made a rosemary butter to go with them. I am going to make a rosemary garlic one to go with Chris' and I will try a bit myself too. I will let you know how it turns out.

Loves. 

Enjoy!
Last summer at PR (not camp, don't even try 


1 comment:

Steph said...

Rosemary AND balsamic butter. FYI.

:)