Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Summer Love - Past and Present



Hi friends. Welcome back. I have been off for a bit. Lots happening around here - and just haven't had a chance to curl up with my laptop and tell stories.

I went over to Point Roberts - aka The Cottage, this past weekend to see my brother and his wee'ins. I had a great visit with my sister's son too and my mom, and my uncle and aunt were also there as well. It was a full house. Just like the tv show - except there were more kids, more women, and not 3 grown men living together. Some of you may not even know that show. That's probably a good thing. I, do. Yipes. 

Anyways - it was a good little visit. I took some photos to share. 

Summer Present.




Chris and I have been 'dating' for 11 years. We started dating when I was 12. Just kidding - 13 ;). I started cooking for him right away. He was hungry. I was tired of cooking for myself. He liked food. I liked to cook. It was a perfect match. Anyways, I had a few dishes that I made regularly - greek salad, some type of pasta, homemade soups... not a huge repertoire, but he enjoyed whatever was on the menu.

One of the first things that I can remember making for him was pasta with lots of fresh vegetables and feta. I still remember the first time I made it for him and the conversation that we had - and that was a very long time ago - so I have a very good memory. 

Picture this - I am a cashier at Safeway. I have just finished my shift and I call Chris at home. 

Me: Hi.
Chris: Hi.
Me: Do you want to come for dinner?
Chris: What are you making?
Me: Pasta with lemon, vegetables and feta.
Chris: Sure.

I should have asked him why he needed to know what was for dinner. What if it was liver and onions? Would he have still came? What if he didn't? Would we be engaged 11 years later? These are the things that keep me up at night.

This pasta is so easy. So fast. So delicious. 

Pasta with summer vegetables, lemons and feta

1 pack of whole wheat linguine - or regular linguine (I think that it works best) - boil until al dente

2 tbsp of butter
4 cloves of garlic minced
2/3 cup green onions - chopped
4 roma tomatoes - chopped into small pieces
2 small or 1 medium yellow or green zucchini - chopped into match stick slices
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tbsp dried oregano
Fresh basil - lots of it
1 cup feta

In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the garlic and green onions - add a dash of kosher salt. Saute for a couple of minutes over low heat to ensure that the garlic doesn't burn. Add the tomatoes, squash and the the juice of the lemons, as well as the oregano and continue to saute for another 10 minutes or so.  Add the fresh basil. Then add the linguine, adding a small amount at at time so that the sauce coats the pasta. Once the pasta is coated in all of the sauce, add the crumbled feta cheese. 

Serve hot.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

readysetwhoa said...

Hi friendo. Just wanted to leave you a note letting you know I'm thinking of you and Chris and sending love. Hope you're ok.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
it doesn't seem like 11 years since Chris entered our lives.We have been through alot together and I am gla?d he is here.

JessicaJ said...

All I can think about right now is eating this for dinner tonight. I'm making it! Try and stop me!!