Sunday, September 26, 2010

My sweet Sunday.



Sunday. Oh Sunday - you are so bittersweet. I love you, you have always been my most favourite day. You are a day to rest, relax, catch up, prepare for a new week, spend time with family and friends, cook a good ol' fashioned Sunday meal. I just love and always look forward to my Sunday's. And then, just as I am sitting back, breathing in the Sunday air, I remember that the day after Sunday is Monday. Monday! The start of a new week. No more sleeping in. And 5 more days until the weekend. What a dilemma. O how will thou make it through?

I am going to get to the nitty gritty. We had a friend over for dinner tonight who took care of Chris' studio while we were in Ontario. He is a sweet guy - and he is always entertaining. We started with a very simple green salad with a balsamic/red wine vinaigrette, and a caramelized onion and goat cheese pizza. Chicken pot pie for the main, and an Apple Tart for dessert. Yumma.

I tried to do something fancy with pecans to toss into the salad - and had a bit of a fiasco. Do not over heat pecans with cayenne pepper on the stove. Or - you will feel as though you have ingested a fire. It's unattractive and unpleasant - and I apologize to Nic and Tina (who stopped by to drop something off) .

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizzas

6 small/medium sized onions - cut into thin strips
Olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
3 stretched naan bread
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup goat cheese

To prepare the onions, I like to peep the skin, and then cut the pepper in half. Placing the cut side down on the cutting board, slice very thin strips. When the onion cooks they will break into the thin strips.

Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onions and and a couple pinches of kosher salt. Saute over medium heat for about 45 minutes - stirring continuously. Once the onions are golden brown - and have caramelized, they're ready for the pizza.

Add 1 tsp of olive oil to each piece of naan bread. I love using the stretch naan bread - I love cutting them up into 4 slices - love the way it looks. Brush the olive oil to coat the bread. Sprinkle 1/3 of the parmesan cheese. Then add 1/3 of the caramelized onions and spread them to cover the bread. Then crumble 1/3 of the goat cheese over top of the goat cheese.

Try to resist eating before they go in the oven.

Place in a 375 oven, directly on the rack, and bake for 15 minutes.

Cut into 4 strips. And enjoy!!

Caramelized onions are so delicious - mixed with goat cheese - hello! They are also delicious in little tarts - and make fantastic appetizers.

Stay tuned for the Apple Tart recipe.

Well - I hope that your Sunday has been good to you. And that the coming week goes by quick.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: