Saturday, September 18, 2010

When I was...



Chili - a great one pot dinner

When I was 3 - I broke my femur. I was trying to climb a trellis and on about the 4th step, about 3 feet off the ground, the step broke and I fell to the ground and broke my femur. I had to spend 2 months in the hospital in traction. 2 months! Can you imagine my poor parents. 2 other kids at home, and one 3 year old in the hospital on her lonesome. When I was finally released from the hospital, my grandparents gave me a nice fruit basket that had a bunch of fruit, and chocolates and I didn't share any of it with my sister and brother.

When I was 8 - all of my skating dresses had zippers in the back. One time I had to use the loo so badly (shocking) and I ran off the ice and made it to the washroom on time; however, I didn't have enough time undo my dress - actually I could not reach the zipper to undo the dress. So... awkward... I wet my skating dress and the floor around me. During the time that I was standing in shock, b/c I didn't really know what to do, I could hear my skating coach Barb Cooper yelling at me to get back on the ice. After about 5 minutes of me standing in one place not moving, one of the mothers came into check on me. Embarrassing. In the end, they gave me someone else's jeans so that I could still practice. Everyone was wondering why I had jeans on and Barb felt bad for yelling at me. Rightfully so.

When I was 12 - I went to my first 'girl/boy' party - Mena's 12th birthday. We played Spin-the-bottle and I kissed a boy for the first time. He knew how to 'kiss'. He knew that the lips were not supposed to be so tight together, so stiff. I did not. He knew that you were supposed to use other parts of your mouth. I did not. He knew that you were supposed to keep your eyes closed. I did not.

When I was 16 - I passed my driver's test on the first try. After asking the driving tester (is that the name) if he wanted me to put my seat back so that his knees were touching the dash and him reminding me that I wouldn't then be able to touch the pedals, being 4 feet away from the curb on my first parallel park try - on the curb on my second - and nowhere even close to a parallel park on my third and him saying that it was 'good enough', after speeding through a school zone - I passed. After passing with 37 demerits, my dad did NOT let me drive home.

Ok, so those are just a few 'When I was...' stories. I am sure that I will have more to share.

Now speaking of sharing, I would like to share what we had for dinner tonight. We had a big 'ol pot of chili. Healthy, delicious chili. I have been making chili for years. Chili was another one of those meals that we had a lot of when we were kids. I love my mom's chili. My recipe is very different from my mom's. I am not sure really why - but it doesn't have the same seasoning or textures. I thank my brother for my recipe. He makes a wicked bowl of chili.

Chili

2 medium sized onions - chopped
2 packs of ground meat - I usually use ground pork or turkey
1 small can of tomato paste
2 large cans of tomatoes
2 cans of kidney beans - rinsed
1 can of black beans - rinsed
2 cans of Heinz beans - in tomato sauce
2 yellow peppers - chopped
2 green peppers - chopped
1 orange peppers - chopped
2 cups of mushrooms - sliced
3 stalks of celery - thinly sliced
1 cup of frozen corn
4 cloves of garlic - minced
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tsp chili pepper flakes
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese - shredded

In a saute pan - saute the onion in a dash of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the ground meat and continue to saute until the meat is cooked. When the meat is cooked, drain off any excess fat and add the tomato paste.

Meantime, add the rest of the ingredients to a large pot, stir everything together, and heat over low to medium heat. When the meat is ready, add the meat to the chili and continue to simmer.

When it is ready to serve, scoop it into a good sized bowl and top with cheddar cheese. And enjoy!

*When I made it tonight - I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes, so I added them in whole and they were a delicious bonus.

We have had a busy day of wedding stuff. And tomorrow is another full day as well. Wedding Fair, tuxedo shopping, and hopefully time to put the feet up and bawl about how much I have to do. I hope that you're all enjoying your weekends.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: