Monday, October 25, 2010

Flashback.



Do you ever have a memory that cracks you up, embarrasses you and makes you cringe all at the same time? Oh man, did I have a flashback today.

When I was in grade 7, our school was doing a talent show for anyone that wanted to participate. There was a girl in our grade who loved Duran Duran. LOVED. She knew every song by heart. She had pictures of them all over her room, desk, school books. She was practicing what her name would be when she married them and was always attempting to dress as them. While she was loving Duran Duran, I was practicing how to do the Van Halen logo perfectly. Hmm, a bit of a difference in music styles.

Anyways, there were probably 6 of us who decided to be a part of her tribute to Duran Duran. We practiced for weeks. My bf, Shannon and I went down to The Bay (that is when Kitimat had a Bay, many moons ago) and our mom's bought us matching sleeveless fuscia body suits with thin white stripes, and then matching fuscia coloured tights. Now, although of you may be embarrassed for me now, trust me it gets worse.

So, we learned the dance. Practiced it day and night. The big day arrived, we performed in front of the entire school and parents. The dance was done to a mix of a bunch of their songs. I don't remember the dance to this day (thankfully) but what I do remember, was that there was a lot of my hand being up in the air and then running my hand over (but not touching, thank goodness) my booby area, and then over my eyes and lips, and then coming down and going over my stomach.

The talent show was a huge success. Seriously. So much, that we went on the road with it and went around to all of the other elementary schools.

So the part that is embarrassing to me when I look back is not that I was dancing to Duran Duran, or that I had to go on a road show, but, OMG. I was twelve. I WAS 12!!! And not only was I dancing like a floozy, my dad was there. I die when I think of it. I picture my dad sitting in the stands waiting for the show to start getting all excited for his little daughter to perform, and then all of a sudden it starts, and it's a song that he probably never heard before, and his daughter is wearing a body suit and dancing like a 12 year old should not be dancing. Wooooo!

Wow - I thought of that today. It reminded me as well of listening to my Olivia Newton John tape 'Let's Get Physical' over and over again. Play rewind. Play rewind. And then I remembered how I sang it over and over to my dad. I thought 'Let's get physical' meant - 'let's work out. Let's hit the gym.' My poor dad.

Let's celebrate my awkward embarrassing memories with my Seafood Chowder recipe. I have been craving this for quite some time now. And since Fall is here - I knew that making a big pot of it on a windy and wet Sunday, would be perfect. I used canned clams - fresh are deelish, but the canned clams are easy and I like easy.

Seafood Chowder Sims Style

1 large onion - chopped
5 white or yukon gold potatoes - chopped into small pieces - about 5 cups
5 thin carrots - chopped into this rounds
3 cans of clams - juice included
2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes
2 cups of corn - fresh or frozen
1 bag of frozen raw prawns - or fresh - peeled and cleaned
4 basa fillets - cut into small chunks
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper

In a large pot, drizzle olive oil and add the onions and cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Then add the potatoes and carrots, and continue to let them cook with the onions for another couple of minutes. Turn the heat down if it is getting too hot. Then add the clams with their juice and give it all a good stir. Add another pinch of kosher salt and some fresh ground black pepper as well as the corn.

In a separate dish using a hand blender, or a blender, puree the tomatoes so that they are fully pureed and not in pieces. Once blended add them to the vegetables and clams. Let this simmer over low-medium heat for about 30 minutes. Let all the flavours meld together.

Then it is time to add the basa fillets. Add the chunks and let it simmer for 7 minutes. Then add the prawns. They should only take a few minutes to cook.

And that's it. This is a hearty, healthy and delicious meal. Chris said that this was the best thing that I had ever made. Hoorah. That would be a 5+.

The only thing that I think could have made this a touch better would have been to have added bacon and some fresh parsley.

Well friends, I hope that my memories took you back to embarrassing and awkward moments from your youth - and made you realize that you got through those - so can get through anything.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chers, I don't remember that, are their any pictures?Was I in the audience?