Sunday, October 24, 2010

For the love of trees.


I am not sure if you have noticed - but Fall is all around. The changing leaves, I find to be breathtaking. Yesterday was windy and blistery - just the way I like it. We were walking the pups and loved watching the fallen leaves move across the ground as if it looked like they were almost dancing.

We have a huge chestnut tree that isn't in our back yard, but it is so massive that it fills a large corner. I heart it all year round. When Spring comes, the leaves fill in a huge empty space - reminding me that new life, freshness is on the way. Then Summer - this tree is in all of it's glory during the hot months. It gives us endless amounts of shade during parts of the day, and I am forever grateful for it. It houses many different animal families - all using it's shade to provide warmth, coolness. Then all of a sudden it's magical Fall. Oh how I love this beauty in the Fall. It's leaves are what I think would be an artist's dream. The leaves turn from a rich dark green to vibrant orange, yellow and a dull red. I am amazed that after 5 years, each Fall is like it is brand new to me. And then Winter. It's leaves are gone, and it shows us it's strong silhouette, it's bareness, and lets us see the core of what it does for us all year round.

I have been in the kitchen for a lot of today. I have been simmering a hearty seafood chowder, some rosemary garlic buns and some fudge brownies. Oh sweet, sweet brownies. I found this recipe and altered it a bit. They are delicious, low in fat, and extremely moist.

Fudge Brownies Sims Style

2/3 cup chocolate - melted
1 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup water

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler - or if you have a microwave (I don't have one, so have to use the old fashioned method). Add the yogurt to the melted chocolate and stir.

In a separate bowl mix together the flower, cocoa powder and baking soda. Add the yogurt and chocolate to the dry ingredients, add the flower and give it all a good stir. Add in the pecans, and stir it all together once again.

Place the mixture into either a parchment lined 8x8 baking dish, or a non-stick baking dish. Bake in the 350 oven for 22 minutes. Let cool and then dig in.

Chris rated these a 5!

Alright friends, I hope that your weekend was full of bliss. The week is here and the weekend is around the corner yet again.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: