Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am so thankful. I am thankful that I don't need Thanksgiving to remind me of how thankful that I am, but I like that it is another day to declare our thankfulness. I am thankful for my fiance - that this is our first and last Thanksgiving as an engaged couple. I am thankful for a wonderful family - so fun, supportive, loving. I am thankful for truly wonderful friends. I am thankful for my pups - oh they are my loves. I am thankful for loving cooking so that I can write this blog everyday and feel some sense of achievement. I am thankful for my laptop so that on this Thanksgiving, I can sit downstairs with it on my lap and have the tv on. I am thankful for memories. I am thankful that I have people to love.

Our turkey dinner turned out really well last night. It was a quaint little gathering - cozy - we all ate too much - lots of decadence. And the best thing - we all deserved it. The free-range/organic turkey was incredible. My mom was calling it a 'purebread'. Oh my. It was really flavourful.

The Cheesecake that I made - was not my finest. I made this recipe before and it was incredible. This time I used 'light' cream cheese. I didn't put that in my recipe before - so I have to go back and edit it. So, the flavour was there. The outer ring was a good consistency, and the inside of the circle it was too soft. Ugh. I know for next time.

Here are a few of the side dishes that I made - and ones that I will make again.

Mashed Turnip with Pepper Flakes

2 medium sized turnips - peeled and cut into small pieces
2 tbsp of butter
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
1 tsp pepper flakes
Kosher salt and pepper

Boil the turnips until they are soft - similar to boiling potatoes - probably around 20 minutes. Drain and transfer back to the pot. Add the butter, pepper flakes, kosher salt and pepper. Use a potato masher and mash all of the ingredients together. Add the parmesan cheese and give everything a nice big stir. And that's it.

I made this dish earlier in the afternoon. I transferred them into a heavy duty casserole dish and placed the lid on top and let it sit on the counter. About 20 minutes before serving dinner, I placed the dish back in a low heated oven to get it warm enough for dinner. It worked like a charm.

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

1 pound bacon
6 cups brussels sprouts - rinsed and the ends cut off

I usually always roast my brussels sprouts - and they are delicious. I wanted to try something different this time - and I was happy that I did.

I like to find the smallest brussels sprouts that I can. I find that they are way more full of flavour.

Chop the bacon slices in half lengthwise and then into small pieces. It's important to keep the pieces small and uniform so that they cook evenly. Place the bacon into a large saute pan and start to saute over medium heat. Allow the bacon to saute for 3-4 minutes - enough time to have some of the bacon fat to release. Then add the brussels sprouts and continue to saute over medium heat, stirring consistently. Eventually the bacon will begin to crisp and make the brussels sprouts crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. When the bacon is crisp reduce the heat and let it just sit to keep warm on the stove until serving.

These were deelish!

Acorn Squash with Spice

Acorn squash - cut in half lengthwise
1 tsp of butter for each half
1 tbsp of brown sugar
Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
Pecans - 3 per half - chopped or whole

Pre-heat the oven to 400.

On a baking dish, place the acorn squash cut side up. Add the tsp of butter. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg - and then sprinkle that on top of the butter. Add the 3 pecans.

Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Throughout the baking, as the butter is melting, with a small spoon, spoon the butter/sugar mixture on top of the squash so that it is being basted in the sugary goodness.

I used 4 squash for this recipe - and for some of our guests they cut the piece in half. The cinnamon and nutmeg are so fragrant and so flavourful.

I am thankful for the leftovers and that we will have homemade turkey broth for some hearty soup.

I hope that you are all enjoying your Thanksgiving and embracing a lovely fall day.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

The decorations on the fireplace make your home look very festive. Happy Thanksgiving

Jenny said...

I agree..you're mantle looks beautiful! I'm going to try that recipe for the turnips. I did a turnip, yam, sweet potato, parmesan casserole...it was fantastic!! I did my stuffing in a crockpot...simply delish.
I guess the countdown has begun for you....yippeee!!!