Friday, October 22, 2010

Stop.

Well hello Friday evening. I sometimes almost have to pinch and grab ahold of myself when the weekend comes. It seems like the weeks and weekends have been flying by. All of a sudden it's Friday and then the next thing I know that it is Sunday and then it's Friday again. When I realize how quick the weeks go by, I say to myself 'when I am done 'this' things will slow down'; but they never seem to slow down.

When weeks are whipping by, I know that I should be ensuring that I am living life to the fullest and enjoying every second of it. I sometimes think that I remember this when it's too late.

Stop and smell the roses; dance more; drink more ice water; sleep in; visit with the neighbours; have coffee with friends; have sleepovers with family; learn to knit scarves; run; run for my life; cuddle more; hold hands.

There are only 35 days left until my wedding. 35 days. 35 DAYS!!!! I said it 3 times just in case you didn't hear me the first 2 times. I really can't believe that it is coming this quickly. Oh my. I need to take my advice - love these days, enjoy all of them. My cousins have been so incredible. Margo is in my wedding party - and she is an incredible BM. Her sister, Marsh, has been sending me regular emails, little pep talks, reminders of what an incredibly special time this is. She is making sure that I am stopping and smelling the roses.

Since it is Friday, and I played hooky from work today (well not really 'hooky' I took the day) and spent the day lounging and loafing, that we would treat ourselves to Nachos for dinner in front of the hockey game. Nachos are a treat dinner that we have every blue moon. They are a special treat - and Chris hearts them.

Nachos Sims Style

1 pack of ground meat - whatever you fancy
3 green onions - thinly chopped
1 yellow, red and orange pepper - chopped into small pieces
3 tomatoes - chopped into small pieces
2 cups cheese - grated
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp smoked paprika
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1 bag of tortilla chips

Pre-heat oven to 350.

In a large skillet, drizzle a tbsp of olive oil and heat pan to medium heat. Add the ground meat, with a pinch of kosher salt and pepper, and cook the meat until it starts to brown. Once the meat is browning, add the cayenne pepper, cumin and smoked paprika. Continue cooking until the meat is cooked. Add the ketchup and stir together and season more with kosher salt and pepper.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place half the amount of chips as the bottom layer. We are in love with these all natural tortilla chips. I have only found them in the deli at Safeway. Love 'em. Then add half of the green onions, peppers and tomatoes. Top with the meat and then the cheese.

Place in the oven and bake for about 7 minutes.

Then do another layer same as above.

Place back in the oven a bake for another 15-20 minutes.

Serve with sour cream, salsa, and if in season make some deelish guacamole (they weren't in season today - boo).

It was a great evening - good nachos and the Canucks won!

Alright friends - I hope your Friday was everything that you wanted it to be.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: