Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Who doesn't like Pumpkin Pie for dinner?


Sicky.
Sicko.
Sicky McSicky.
Cough-alot-o-pus.
Coughy McCoughy.

Those are just some of the comforting names that I like to call Chris when he is sick. Chris has what I have. Although, Chris last week told me when I was sick, that he 'never gets sick'. He followed up that sentence with either 'because I'm a man' or 'because I don't allow myself to get sick'. Hm... looks like he spoke too soon.

I am torn about him being sick. Although I don't want him to be sick, I do love having him home on a week night to eat dinner with and watch the hockey game in real time. See my dilemma? No really, can you? So, I hope that he mends well for two reasons: 1. I don't like seeing him sick and being sick isn't fun; and when he is sick he does this almost Frankenstein-ish walk around the house and grunts and groans. It's not attractive. I will give him one day of this walking - and then he is on his own.


Sick.
Oh, who's feeling a little better?
This is when I told him it was ok to eat pumpkin pie for dinner.

Until he mends, I will spoil him and make sure that he is comfortable. I will heat him up turkey soup and make him fancy grilled cheese sandwiches. I will let him bring the good blankets downstairs to curl up with in front of the tv (don't ask - I'm OCD with the good blankets). I will let him think that it is ok to eat pumpkin pie for dinner. I won't get mad when I ask him a question and he doesn't answer. Oh, scratch that - I will. I will let him skip doing the dishes so that he can rest. I will do all of the above for a day, two max, and then it's back to normal. I can't let him get away with this for too long - or it may stay like this. And then we'll be married, and before I know it, I will be getting his slippers for him, and getting up to make him breakfast every morning, and picking out which underwear I should iron for him so that he can wear them.

For dinner tonight, we had leftover turkey soup. God love turkey soup. The pot I used, which is similar to a pot that you will see in an Army kitchen - it's a biggun - will feed us for the week. I figure if I keep adding to it, it will be like a new soup each night. Sometimes it's just easy to have dinner made for you each night in advance. 'Always' it's just easy to have dinner made for you each night in advance.

Thanks to Jess for telling me her favourite 'sometimes and always'. I am not worried that I may have a stalker on my hands. Not at all. Not even a bit.... :) Loves.

To go with dinner tonight, I fancied up a grill cheese sandwich. I used brie cheese and roasted tomatoes that I roasted last night. I kind of felt like I was cooking in my farm kitchen last night. I was making a big pot of turkey soup and roasting tomatoes from my garden. Roasted tomatoes are so easy to do - and are packed with the most incredible flavour. I have been doing quite a few of them lately as my tomatoes have slowly, very slowly ripened. I then just put them in a ziploc bag and throw them in the freezer. They are awesome later on for sauces or soups.

Grilled Brie Cheese Sandwiches with Roasted Tomatoes

I had a wheel of brie cheese that I would normally make baked brie with - but I decided to break it out and make grilled cheese instead.

2 slices of bread - normally if I am making 'fancy' grilled cheese, I would like to use sourdough or rye bread. Tonight we just had whole wheat on hand
4 thin slices of brie cheese
2 roasted tomatoes
1 tbsp of butter

In a pan, add the butter and let it melt, over medium heat. Place the thin slices of brie cheese on one piece of bread. then add the tomatoes. Gently slice the tomato, but don't squeeze it - as you don't want the juices leaking out too much. Place the other piece of bread on top. Place the sandwich in the pan with the melted butter. Cover and let it lightly brown - approximately 2 minutes on each side.

And that's it. You have a delicious Girl Cheese Sandwich. Just kidding - it's Grilled Cheese. When I was a cute little girl, I asked my mom why there weren't 'Boy Cheese Sandwiches'.

Alright, I am going to take Chris' temperature, prop him up with blankets and pillows, make him a hot cup of tea... or I might just sit beside him on the couch and watch the hockey game.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Steph said...

ummm, you do know what 'boy cheese' probably is, right?