Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Writer's block.




Writer's block. Not writer's block of cheese or chocolate. Just good old fashioned writer's block. I just started to write about how women carry the weight of the world on their shoulders. They make sure that they take care of everyone and forget to take care of themselves. They sometimes let things get bad before they get better, because they sometimes forget to treat themselves better.

I just am having writer's block trying to get into this and go deep. It could be because I know it's true, and know so many women in my life that put so much before themselves. I guess we just have to remind each other that we are number one and worth it. If anyone needs reminding, let me know. You are all worth it. You are all love.

I made a new dessert the other night. Very similar to another recipe that I make, but I switched it up a bit. Rice Pudding - hello - oh how I love thee. I got this idea from my friend Steph, she used to be my 'assistant' but she no longer is. I don't want to talk about it. Don't even try to get me to. I won't. I will refuse. I will scowl and then stomp off - very similar to my 'former' assistant.

Coconut and Lime Rice Pudding
  • 1 cup water
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup Arborio rice
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • Zest of one lime
  • 1/2 cup of shredded coconut

Bring water, salt, and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice, return to a boil, and then reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Shake the pan occasionally and cook until rice has absorbed the water but it still al dente, about 15 minutes.


Bring coconut milk and milk, sugar, vanilla, lime zest and coconut to a simmer in a separate saucepan. Add the cooked rice and cook at a simmer over medium-low heat until rice absorbs most of the milk and mixture starts to get thick and silky, about 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful, don't let the milk get too hot or you will burn your pan - trust me I know.


I absolutely love the colour that the lime zest brings to the silky coconut milk and rice.

Chris rated this a definite 3!! I know - 3! He really likes raisins in his rice pudding - he likes the sweetness that they give and the burst of flavour in every bight. I on the other hand don't think that raisins go with. I may try this again and add the flavours just to make him happy. That's what a woman does.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: