Sunday, November 14, 2010

Countdown continues... 13 days!

13 days and counting! The last 13 days have come and gone by so quickly, so I know that the next 13 days will even go by faster. I am trying to soak it all in - remember everything - and embrace it all.

Yesterday, another surprise! I went over to my mom's for a typical visit - we were supposed to go for her to try on her dress - but instead when I got to her house and was about to open the door, my beautiful 5 year old niece opened the door and gave me a huge shock. She, with my SIL and other niece, two of my aunts, my cousin, my cousin's wife and daughters, my sister, nephew, some of my mom's friends, my BIL's GF, Tina and her son, Tracy, Maegan and her daughter, my neighbour Barb. I hope that I didn't forget anyone). It was such an awesome surprise. I was truly spoiled. I didn't want any of them to have to leave - I got a little teary when I had to say 'goodbye' to my nieces. I will see them again very shortly. 11 days!

My mom and sister did such a fantastic job. My mom makes the best little tea sandwiches. In fact I had some for breakfast this morning.

I think that there is so much fun and excitement for the wedding day, and when I got engaged I thought about the actual day. And now that the day is almost here, it's been days like yesterday, or last week, or my shower in September, or the dress shopping, all of these experiences are what make the actual day so special. Sigh. Love it all.

So, yesterday, I mentioned that I hadn't been cooking. I haven't went on strike, or given away much kitchen, I just haven't really had time. We haven't been living on beef jerky and applesauce, don't worry. Although Chris might like that - he does love applesauce, and I never buy beef jerky, so it would be a rare treat.

On Thursday night we had friends in for dinner - it was made within 20 minutes and in the oven - Baked Spaghetti. This is a 'crowd' pleaser. It's easy to make - and really is delicious. I think that it will be one of my fall back dishes when Chris' family is staying with us.

I did make another new thing last week as well - I just didn't have the time to write about it. It was something that literally took maybe 20 minutes from start to finish. Literally.

Pork Medallion with Maple Syrup Sandwiches

1 small onion - sliced into thin strips
1 pork tenderloin
1 red pepper - julienned
1/3 cup maple syrup
Soft buns - like hoagies or a baguette
Kosher salt and pepper

In a skillet, with a drizzle of olive oil, saute the onions, add a pinch of kosher salt, on medium heat until they caramelize. Once they have caramelized add the onions and let saute for a couple of minutes.

In the meantime, rinse the tenderloin and pat it dry. Remove the tough underside with a sharp knife, if your butcher hasn't already. Then slice the tenderloin into medallions, about 1/2 inch thick.

Add the maple syrup to the onions and peppers, and then add the pork. Let the pork simmer for about 7 minutes or until it is fully cooked.

Warm the bun or baguette in the oven for a couple of minutes. Add the pork, and bits of the onion and peppers to the bun, and that's it. A very simple, and delicious dinner or lunch.

Alright Sunday fans. I am off to take the pups for a wee walk. And then pick up a few things for tonight's dinner. I will be sure to post, if, it turns out.

Have a great day!

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: