Sunday, November 21, 2010

Countdown continues... 5 days!




6 Days before my wedding, I had my practice hair-do done for my wedding. I won't share the details, just in case Chris is reading this - as he wants to be surprised. This is what it looked like when I left - but it wasn't like this while I was there. You can't see it, but I have a little braid across the front. I also did a lot of wedding stuff - I felt like I was 'elbow high' in wedding stuff. When I was thinking that, I thought about the saying 'elbow high'. I think that the only time that I have been 'elbow high' in stuff is when I have had to change a poopy diaper or clean up something that my cat used as a make shift litter box. I am not prepared to share that story. Not quite yet. Not ever, maybe.

5 Days before my wedding - I am up early. Well 8 AM. I have my friend, Maegan, coming for lunch with her two wee'ins. We are going to go over deets for the wedding. I am making chicken strips and french fries with gravy for them. The fries are from a bag - I may make poutine, and the chicken strips are marinading in buttermilk and will be breaded with panko breadcrumbs and parmesan. I also just spoke with my future SIL - although I already call her my SIL. She is a lot of fun - and I CAN'T wait until they come this week. I am also going shopping tonight to this mall event with Jules. I don't really need anything - but it will be fun.

I made dinner last night. 'Bout time. Dinner was inspired by a bag of pasta that Sam gave me for my bridal shower last weekend. Rigatoni. Delicious. It was packaged in a brown bag - rustic looking - love it. And, an opened bottle of white wine.

Rigatoni in White Wine Mushroom Sauce

1 bag of rigatoni
1 medium onion - chopped
3 chicken breasts
3 tbsp flour - divided
3 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp of butter
1/4 cup chopped sage
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1/2 cup of white wine
2/3 cup cream - or stock
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese

To prepare the chicken, use a mallet to flatten the meat. If you don't have a mallet (aka, what my mom said once - you pound your meat with it) then wrap it in saran and use the end of a hammer or a rolling pin. I used the pin. Flatten it out. Then cut the breasts into pieces - not small pieces - long strips and then cut in half or thirds. Place the chicken in a bowl and season with kosher salt and pepper and then toss it in 2 tbsp the flour.

In a skillet (medium heat) - saute the onion in a drizzle of olive oil and pinch of kosher salt. Saute until golden - about 8 minutes. Then add the chicken. Add a bit more olive oil if needed. Brown the chicken until it is cooked - 5 minutes per side. When the chicken is done, remove it from the pan.

Sage - line the leaves on top of one another - and chop into small pieces

Then add the sliced mushrooms. Saute them - they will brown nicely in the juices from the onion and chicken. Saute for a couple of minutes and then add the butter, sage and garlic and saute for another couple of mins. Toss in the remaining flour and stir it so that the mushrooms are coated. Then add the wine, if you are going to have a taste of the wine and stir, poor a separate glass :) - stir it all in. Then slowly add the cream. Stir it all together so that it forms a sauce. If you want it thicker, add a little more wine, or stock or cream. Return the chicken to the pan, and let the sauce simmer. Oooh lala - it's so tempting not to eat it all at this point. Just before the pasta is ready to be added, add in the parmesan cheese.

Prepare the rigatoni - or any type of pasta that will absorb the thick sauce - i.e., penne, rotini.

When the rigatoni is al dente, drain. Add 1/3 of the pasta to the sauce at a time to let it coat the pasta. I like doing it this way so that the pasta gets all coated in the saucy goodness.


My biggest fans while I am cooking - oh the life.

Alrighty - I need to get out of my pj's and take the pups on a hike. I am excited to still see a bit of snow on the ground. That means it's still cold - and I can wear a winter toque.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: