Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hoorah for Tuesday!


Hello Tuesday fans. Tuesday - tomorrow it's Wednesday, then Thursday and then before we know it, it's the weekend. Are you feeling me? Are you reading what I'm writing? Are you getting what I'm giving? I know you are. I know b/c it's how you roll, and it's b/c how I roll.

Whattup????

Oh man - I all of a sudden have a burst of energy. It's like I just ran 10 K (I didn't) or just had a pot of coffee (I don't drink coffee) or just started a 3 week holiday (I wish). Not sure what is - but I am going to run with this bi*ch all week. Bring it.

It was a glorious day. Beautiful sun - hard to believe that it is November. I am hoping that we have glorious weather in 25 days. 25 DAYS! Sorry to keep the countdown alive - but I need to keep everyone on their toes.

Ok - I could blabber on and on - but I have a recipe to share that I ma excited about. Hoorah.

Rosemary Garlic Chops with Faux Risottaux and Steamed Spinach

Sorry for the long name - but I couldn't miss out a thing. I bought some delicious pork chops last weekend - and I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to cook them. I was thinking of the 'ol mushroom soup bake - but wanted to try something new - and I am pleased with the results.

Rosemary Garlic Chops

5 chops - thick, bone in
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of fresh rosemary - chopped
1 large garlic clove - chopped

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Rinse the chops and dry - then season both sides with kosher salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter and then add the rosemary and garlic. Over medium heat, heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the chops and over medium/high heat brown both sides of the chops. While they are cooking, spoon the rosemary/garlic oil over top of the pork chops to keep them simmering in the juice. Cook on each side for about 7 minutes.

Remove the chops from the skillet (don't do anything with the skillet - stay tuned) and place them into a large enough baking dish so that they are not on top of each other. Cook them in the oven for 20 minutes.

Faux Risottaux
I called it this b/c it's not really risotto and it's not just rice. It was simple - and very tasty.

2 small onions - or 1 medium - chopped
2 peppers - chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 cups of brown rice
2 cups of chicken stock
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and pepper

Cook the rice accordingly to the package. If you have a rice cooker - I would recommend using that - only b/c I found another use for it for another part of this recipe.

In the skillet that you cooked the chops, keep the heat at medium and add the chopped onion. Give a small pinch of kosher salt. Saute until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and saute for another couple of minutes. If you have a bit more rosemary, add that in as well - I did, and was happy that I did. Then it is time to add in the cooked rice and the chicken stock. Reduce the heat to medium/low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes - ensuring that all of the rice soaks up all the stock. Prior to stirring, toss in the parmesan cheese - stir - and admire.

Now - if you have a rice cooker - you can cook the spinach in it. I KNOW!!! Who would have thought? I put the spinach with a 1/2 cup of water and let it cook for a couple of mins. If you don't have a rice cooker - just steam it.

Then it's time to assemble.

Faux Risotto

Rosemary Garlic Shops

Spinach

And that's it. I think that it turned out really well, and it is full of flavour.

Ok - Christoff is home - and we are going to watch the game on the PVR. Don't tell me if they win, or are winning.

I am sending out a 'holler' to Megan - working the evening shift - you're almost done!!!

Loves.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

You knew I would be reading!! This looks delish Cheryl, I can almost smell it from your fantastic pics. I hope Chris rated this a '5' :)

Miss Megan, the evening 'Hollaback' gal.

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious Chers. You are so creative.