Monday, November 8, 2010

OMG.


Aaaaaaaaaand STOP!!!

Ok, the whirlwind of a weekend that I was on has stopped. Oh my, it was a good one. I actually just had to check my blog to see when the last day I did a post was. It seems that I haven't been on my wee little Mac in forever. Now... I know that some of you may be worried that I wasn't cooking during this time, don't worry, I did cook once, but I was treated to a few dinners out. I love it when that happens.

Now before I get into the nitty gritty, I need to tell you that in the oven, baking at 375 is a delicious, hearty, frozen lasagna, that I did NOT make. From the box. Chicken. And it better hit the spot. Don't judge me!

The whirlwind consisted of:
- Hearing the details of a shower that was held in my honour up in Kitimat by my gf, Jocelyn.
- Dinner out with friends at Prime - I had the most amazing salad there - it's a steak house - I know - but I am not a steak eater, and this salad sounded divine. I will definitely be making it to share with you guys - and I am very excited to try and replicate it.
- Finally getting to talk to Rashmi on the phone. Remember her?
- A day with my cuzzie that included - trying on my wedding dress, lunch at Tapas Bar, shopping and a pedicure! I was treated like royalty. My sister joined us for part of the day, and we had such a good time. Margo made the trek down from up island, so I felt very honoured.
- A stagette party. STAGETTE!!! A surprise at my house, dinner at Bon Rouge, and then off to Irish Times Pub, for some incredible celtic music and lots of dancing, laughs, and a wonderful evening with great girlfriends.
- An real live episode of Cagney and Lacey - which will take on it's own blog post. Stay tuned.
- Dinner with friends. I wasn't in really in my prime to cook up a feast - but it turned out and our guests left with full bellies.
- An extra hour of sleep.

I want to share more - but want to have the pictures to go with it. Stay tuned - I will be talking about this all week. Trust me. Oh! Just in case you have lost track, 19 days to go! Oner Niner.

I plan on sharing on the deets this week, but for now - I will share a recipe - just in case you are starving b/c you aren't sure what to cook.

On the menu last night was pretty much everything that I have cooked before. I was thinking of trying new recipes - but staying up long past midnight 2 nights in a row - I thought that I would go with some of our favourites.

Appetizer was the avocado, shrimp and tomato stacks. I was very excited b/c I finally found some of the metal ring/moulds to use.

Dinner was Roasted Beet and Carrot salad with walnuts and goat cheese; Breaded chicken that I marinaded in sour cream, lots of garlic and fresh oregano; Orzo with Butternut Squash.

Dessert was brownies from a box served with vanilla ice cream. Easy peasy.

Orzo with Butternut Squash

1 medium sized onion - chopped
1 medium sized butternut squash - peeled, chopped into small pieces - about 4 cups
3 cups of uncooked orzo
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of butter
5 cups of chicken stock
Kosher salt and pepper
2 tbsp fresh oregano
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

In a large skillet with a tbsp of olive oil, saute the onion for about 8 minutes, on medium heat. Season with kosher salt. Add the butternut squash and saute for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, butter and the orzo, and stir it all together, letting it saute for a couple of minutes.

Then add the stock, not all at once, 2 cups at first, and then continue to add the rest a cup at a time, stirring often. Continue to let it simmer for about 30 minutes. You can add more stock if you find that the orzo is soaking it up too much and is not yet el dente. Just before serving, add in the parmesan cheese and stir it all together.

And that's it. The orzo is so creamy and the texture of the butternut squash is divine.

Alright friends, I hope that your week has started out like it should.

Loves.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that a photo of your orzo or the awesome mac n cheese that was had out at Bon Rouge?

rashmi said...

"OMG" is right, I just wrote this long winded message to u n it didn't work cuz I forgot my pw...well it won't be hard to leave another long winded message, not for me anyways! It was so nice to hear your voice the other night...we are so good at picking it up where we left off...that is a sure sign of a good friendship! I know they say not to have any regrets in life but I have to say that I don't see u at all, I can't believe that, that makes me sad! But having said that, there is nothing that makes me happier just knowing you r happy healthy n surrounded by love!! Pretty good huh?? I can be quite sentimental my friend!! Okay so I know u r going to be crazy busy in the next few weeks, we won't get a chance to chat before your big day soooo please know I luv u n wish u n Chris a world of happiness joy love n adventure as u continue your journey thru life together!!! I cannot wait to meet Chris oneday...it will probes be at a hockey game where we can boo the Flamers together!!! Luv u lotsa my friend!! Big hugs R

rashmi said...

Oh ya I will definately be trying this recipe..my sista likes to read your blogs...we get excited just reading them! Thanks again for the wonderful delicious recipes!! MWAH:)

Jenny said...

I was so disappointed that I couldn't make it to your shower!! Gavin has been sick for 1 week with tonsilitis and isn't on the mend. We were dealing with some inflammed lymph nodes and vomiting. I thought of you all night...:)

Chrissy said...

Ben’s favorite thing to eat is butternut squash, although mine is very boring compared to yours. So I guess you will just have to invite us for dinner again and then he will get to try yours. “Wink Wink” I’m so glad that you had a great time at your surprise. The food at the restaurant was really good and very filling. I wish we could have continued the night with you. Looking forward to the big day!!! It’s coming up so fast.