Saturday, December 18, 2010

Chip 'n Dip

Oh the holiday season. I love it. Although... this year, it kinda feels like it has sprung up so quickly and that I am really not all that prepared. To top it off - I cannot get rid of this 'bug' or whatever it is. For the first time in pretty much ever, I spent almost the whole day in bed. I got out of bed at 2:30. 2:30!!! It's not natural to do that, unless you work the night shift. I was pretty surprised that I was still in bed after Chris had been out training, teaching and then cleaning the studio.

Anyways, I am hoping that my sleep marathon will help me cure this crap bug that I am experiencing.

Last night was our annual Christmas party. It was good. It was a really fun night. We had a house full of family and special friends. Typically, we do a huge feast - clam chowder, chili, and then a bunch of different hors d'oeuvres. This year, we didn't do that. I had a few hesitations b/c I am always concerned that people have enough to eat. It was supposed to be a chip 'n dip party - so I tried a few different things. Friends ended up bringing goodies with them - sushi (my SIL makes incredible sushi - she is going to teach me some day, some day soon), more sushi, baking, veggies. Some of the stuff that I did prepare ahead of time, like Bruschetta, veggies and homemade dips, I didn't even put out.

I don't have pics right now - but will soon.

Hummus and Pita Chips

Hummus

1 can of chick peas
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup of fresh parsley
Kosher salt - couple of pinches

Rinse the chick peas and place them in a food processor, and then add the rest of the ingredients. Pulse the peas with the rest of the ingredients until they are all blended together. If the peas are still a little chunky add a bit more olive oil and puree again. And that's it.

Pita Chips

6 pita pockets
1/2 cup of butter
2-3 cloves of garlic - minced - or 2 tbsp of garlic paste (I love this stuff - it's a bit like cheating - but so worth it)
Sea Salt

Using kitchen scissors, cut the pita pockets into chip size pieces. I like to cut them into half - and then each half into 4's. And then each piece into half so that the pieces are all thin. Each pita pocket will make 16 chips. Enough to feed a small army.

Set oven to broil.

In a small saucepan melt the butter and add the garlic. Line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or aluminum foil. Then lightly brush the garlic butter on each chip and place in the oven. Broil for 2 minutes. Maybe a little extra - just watch them - and remove when they are slightly golden and crisp.

Remove them from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt right away.

And that's it. So deelish!

Tomorrow is going to be a very exciting day. We are going to watch The Fighter with my Hollywood husband. Can't wait!!!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: