Thursday, December 23, 2010

Guest Chef - My Mom - Holiday Dessert



I am excited to finally have another Guest Chef to add to our Guest Chef Series.

2 days until Christmas. Normally I am already. I have done all my shopping, a majority of my wrapping, and I enjoy the nights by eating baking and drinking hot chocolates and dancing to Christmas music and making my dogs dress up like Reindeers. Well, really only a few of those things are true - you can decide what you think is true and what is not.

This year it is different. I finally finished my shopping today. I think that I could do more if I had time, but I have to call it quits at some point. Since we aren't doing Christmas dinner - we only have to shop a bit. I am sending Chris off tomorrow with a list in hand so that he can take care of all that good stuff for me.

I love Christmas, but this bug or whatever I had, just really squeezed any spirit that I had out of me. Today I feel good. Way better. Well, right now I do, which is really nice. I am hoping that I am finally on the mend - and will feel 100% for Christmas.

Now for the good stuff.

Guest Chef: My mom - aka - Jules

My mom is a great cook, and an even better baker. She can bake anything. She makes the most amazing cookies, and the does the most amazing Christmas baking. She makes Buttertarts that are to die for. She makes these chocolate coconut drops that make me want to cry when they are all done (I hoard those ones). Her shortbread cookies are always so perfect - they melt in your mouth. And she makes delicious Nanaimo Bars - that when they are all soft - I can toss 3-4 pieces back in one sitting; I can't help it, they are my weakness.

Her recipe for today is a cake that she makes for Christmas dinner almost every year. It is fancy. It is light. It is delicious. It is Christmas.

Snowball Cake

1 1/2 tbsp unflavoured gelatin
1 cup boiling water
4 tbsp cold water
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of orange juice - frozen or fresh
Juice of one lemon
1 pint of whipping cream
1 Angel Food Cake - homemade or from the bakery
1 package of flaked coconut

Add the gelatin to cold water so the gelatin dissolves. Place the boiling water into a large bowl, and add the gelatin and water to the boiling water. Then add the lemon juice and orange juice. Put in the fridge and let it partially set.

Then beat half of the whipping cream and add it to the gelatin mixture.

Break up the Angel Food cake into small pieces. Line a bowl - use a bowl that you can vision will be the shape of half a large snowball cake. Not too big and not too small. Line the bowl with wax paper. Start off by adding one layer of cake to the very bottom of the bowl. Then add some of the gelatin mixture to cover the layer of cake. Repeat these steps until the bowl is full and you have finished with a layer of the gelatin.

Place in the fridge and let it sit - for at least an hour.

When it is set, put it on a serving plate and gently turn it so that the bowl can be taken off.

Whip the remaining whipping cream and cover the cake with the whipping cream. Then top the cake with the flaky coconut.

You can stick a couple of toothpicks into the top and cover it with saran wrap and place in the fridge until ready to serve. Another great thing about this dessert is that you can make it in advance and it freezes really well. Just take it out 4 hours before serving.


Meet my Mom.

What is your favourite meal to eat and cook?
Mom: To eat - there is not much that I don't like. To cook - turkey dinner.

If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?
Mom: Your dad.

Cook or Dine for Christmas dinner?
Mom: Dine.

What is your favourite dish of turkey dinner?
Mom: Turnip and carrots.

Favourite kitchen utensil or appliance?
Mom: This time of year - my KitchenAid mixer.

And that is my mom. She is so beautiful, so loving, so generous, so kind and finally a Guest Chef.

If you haven't got anything for Christmas dinner, I would suggest this.

Ok - I hope that you are all feeling the festivities - and that you are able to spend this time with your loved ones. If I don't get a chance to catch you before Christmas - Merry Merry Christmas to you all.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That picture of you and your mom is beautiful...The one of her alone is gorgeous as well!
Brought a smile to my face! Hope you are starting to feel better...can't wait to see the pics of the Christmas feast!!!
Merry Christmas my friend!!

Anonymous said...

You forgot to cover the bowl with waxed paper before
putting in the fridge, it helps it to set. Thanks for the compliments Hon, I love the pictures