Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow.


Down here on our little island, it's snowing. Lightly - and not sticking to the roads, but it is gently covering the grass and cars with a thin layer of white.

I love the snow.

I know that I have told you that before, but I really do. Tonight when I was bundled up walking the pups I was thinking about how homesick I am for Kitimat during Christmas and when it snows. I grew up in the small, northern town of Kitimat on the west coast of the mainland. A very different pace to where I live now. All the same, I loved it. I feel that I had a lot of opportunities growing up there that I may not have had growing up in the city.

Anyways, I think that I get homesick when it snows, b/c Kitimat used to get so much snow. The kind of snow that you couldn't see out of your bungalow windows and you could jump off your roof and land comfortably in the snow without breaking a limb.

There is something about snow. I feel that it slows things down. When it first falls, everything is fresh. I am praying to the snow gods (if there is such a thing) that it comes, stays for awhile, and gives me an opportunity to wear my new winter boots.

Alright, I cooked last night. I love Thai food - but I just sort of wing it when I attempt to make anything. When we went to Steph's for New Year's day she made an amazing Thai curry. My goal was to make something similar - no recipe in hand - just a few different ingredients with hopes that it would work out.

My Thai

1 pack of firm Tofu
1 small jar of Pad Thai sauce - I should have used Thai curry paste, but I bought the right thing
1 can of light coconut milk
3 peppers - chopped
1 zucchini - thinly sliced
1 tbsp of chopped ginger - I think that next time I will grate it
Hot pepper flakes
Juice of one lime
Brown rice

Pre-heat the oven to 400. Cut the tofu in half length wise. Drizzle sesame oil over top of the tofu and season with kosher salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. If I make this again (which I will), I will probably saute it instead.

In a large pot, add the pad thai sauce and the coconut milk. All of the vegetables, and pepper flakes. Let everything simmer, until the vegetables start to soften slightly. Add the tofu and let it simmer in the sauce and absorb all of the wonderful flavours.

Before serving, add the juice of one lime.

Serve with brown rice and enjoy it.

Chris loved this and rated it a 5!

Alrighty friends - I hope that there is snow where you are if you like it. And that you can enjoy it.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

PS - the other day I posted a link to our wedding pics. I messed up the link - it has been corrected. Here it is here too.

1 comment:

rashmi said...

Hey friend! Mrs.Cunningham please. I think I feel the same way as you...I always find myself thinking about home when it snows, I remember in the early 80's how much it snowed and how we use to jump from our back porch into the snow n if the parents weren't around we would jump from the rooftop...ahhhh the good ol days! When I moved to the lower mainland I use to giggle when it snowed an inch the whole city would come to a stand still...it has snowed in Okotoks quite abit already, it is so lovely:)
So how have u n your handsome husband (heehee) been doing?? Hope your holidays were relaxing, I guess kind of bitter sweet for both of you...isn't it great to have a partner to share both happiness n sadness together.
I heart Thai food, Thai people n even their attire...we spent a couple of weeks in Thailand about 4yrs ago...it really is my dream place!! I am definately going to try your recipe...I also have made attempts to make Thai cuisine...yummmm my mouth is watering just thinking of the food!
I am so enjoying looking at your wedding pics...Miss Colleen V has not changed abit, so good to see her also!! Jules looks so beautiful...I can really go in forever! Take care my dear friend! Lots of luv R