Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Sunday Dinner

Dear Sunday.
Oh how lovely you have been today. The sunshine is exhilarating. The crispness in the air is refreshing. The blue skies are endless. And the lack of rain is more uplifting than words can describe.
Loves.
C.


Sometimes I like to check in like that. Just do a little reality check and describe how the day is going. It's been a good day. A little of this and a little of that. And to top off the day, we are heading to Jules for a good ol' Sunday dinner.


I love Sunday dinners. Growing up we almost always had someone in for Sunday dinner. My dad worked shiftwork, so if he was working, we may not have had anyone in, but we still had a great dinner and sat down together.


Since it is just Chris and I, I always make sure that we sit at the table for dinner on Sunday nights. The rest of the week we don't have an opportunity to sit together, except Saturday's - which there is usually a hockey game on, and Friday's when I prefer to not cook. Chris will sometimes protest and say things like 'Really? Wouldn't you prefer to watch tv?' - the answer is always the same. It's also the day that we tend to have friends over for dinner. I like the idea of being able to spend the day doing what needs to get done and not feeling rushed to put together a meal for friends or family.


I think that Sunday dinners are so important. I feel like it is the dinner to reconnect before the week starts again. It's the day that you can take a little extra time to put the dinner together and not feel so rushed. It's the day that you can eat earlier if you like - so that you can spend time together cleaning up and then curl up on the couch with a good movie or a hockey game.


What are you Sunday plans? Do they include dinner? If yes, what are you making/having?


I haven't been 'in' the kitchen too much lately. I just am starting to feel a bit more myself so have been cooking extremely easy/boring meals that I don't think are fun to share. Last nights dinner was spaghetti. Something that I whipped up in less than 30 minutes. I used ground pork, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, oregano, spinach, whole wheat pasta, and for the tomato sauce, organic purred tomatoes.


Once I saute the meat, add the vegetables to saute for a bit, I then add the sauce. I like to add pepper flakes for a hint of heat, and 1/2 a tsp of sugar to take off the bitterness of the tomatoes.



Then I add the spinach, put on the lid and let it simmer with the heat of the sauce. Then gradually stir it in. Spinach is so good for you - and hiding it like this in spaghetti sauce is so delicious.



I drain the pasta, but don't rinse it. If you are not going to put the sauce on the spaghetti right away, then rinse it. But if you are going to sauce it up, then let it sit so that the starches help absorb and coat the sauce.



And then it's ready to serve.



Alright friends, happy Friday. I have a link to some of our wedding photos if you would like to take a look.


Love your Sunday.


Loves.


Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

I tried to look at the wedding link and it said not found. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

C. Mitchell said...

Thanks for letting me know Chrissy. Not sure what happened - but it's all fixed now!

Jenny said...

Those photos are beautiful...my favourite is the last one...love the sweet kiss with the city in the background! I also love the one of you and your mom laughing...you and your nieces and nephews...beautiful!

Pilar said...

I also remember Sunday dinners with the family. Normally my dad would take us out every Sunday either in the city or outside the city to discover a new restaurant and a new place, before eating, he would take us to a museum or an exposition, sometimes a fair or a market. I used to get soooo bored sometimes at the museums, but now that I think about it, I am so grateful for those trips, those meals, laughters and good times. Flavours and smell of meals always bring me back beautiful memories.