Monday, February 21, 2011

Counting sheep.


Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How many hours of sleep a night do you like to get each night? 5? 6? 7? Ideally I would like to get 8 hours every night - and I try my best to get that. I try not to go to bed past 10 so that I can get up '@' 6 (I used '@' loosely'). I usually have the alarm set for 6:10 and then lay there prep talking myself to get my butt out of bed.

For the past couple of nights I have been waking up anywhere between 12 and 4 and have had the hardest time getting back to sleep. Usually I lay there for 2 hours just tossing and turning and praying to whoever is listening to help my get back to sleep. Apparently no one is listening as the wee hours of the night just take forever to go by when you are wide awake. I am not sure what is happening - but I am not happy about it. Friends have suggested taking some form of sleeping pill, having a nice cup of tea or trying to stay up later. I think that for the rest of this week, I will just try good old fashioned counting sheep and work hard at getting back to a routine.

Monday! I sometimes can't believe that the weekend goes by so fast. So fast! If you blink too much you will miss it all together.

I had a pretty good Monday though. We only had a half day of work - so that our department could go to the movie. Movie Day! We were able to pick which ever one we wanted to see. I decided to go with friends to see 'The Kings Speech'. It was so well done. I really enjoyed it. I loved the main characters. Helena Bonham Carter was so great - she always is.

And now as I am making a dish of Chicken Adobo, quinoa (I will use the sauce from the chicken to give it some flavour, and a salad. While the chicken was on the stove, I did one of Jillian Michaels' workout DVDs. It was pretty good. I did it in the living room, had the blinds down so the neighbours couldn't see and had to more than once push the dogs off from crawling on me. I am going to try and do it twice a week. The DVDs are only $10 so they are worth the workout.

On Saturday night I made a new meatloaf recipe (which I will share shortly) and a couple of sides - one being mashed yams. They are so easy to do - and so flavourful. I picked up a few more at the Rootcellar to do again this week as they were a big hit.


Mashed Yams Sims Style

2 medium to large yams
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of light cream cheese
Kosher salt and pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 375. With a fork puncture the yams with a couple of fork pokes. I would lay a small sheet of aluminum foil under neath as juices will bake out. Roast the yams for about 45 minutes.

If you like roasted garlic too - you can roast the garlic for about 20 minutes.

Remove them from the oven and let them cool off slightly. You can put them in the fridge to speed up the process. When they are cool enough to handle - cut them in half and scoop out the good stuff. With a potato masher, mash up the yams. Add the garlic, kosher salt and pepper and the cream cheese. Mix it all together and serve.

The cream texture of the yams and the roasted flavour are divine.

Alright - time to go and make a salad.

I hope that your Monday was full of joy. The weekend is just around the corner. :)

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cher, phone me next time you are awake at 4a.m..