Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fill me up on Pasta anytime



Don't be too shocked but I cooked tonight. Something different than the old favourites. I actually made turkey burgers last night with a salad - which was a nice treat.

Tonight's dinner was Pasta Carbonara. Oh my. Oh how we enjoyed it. Oh, this just in Chris said that he is only rating it a 3. Oh. Well, I would have given it a high 4. I will also make it differently the next time - but I will explain that later.

Oh my husband. I had one of those thoughts today - I couldn't believe that I was married. I was getting water, and I looked down at my ring - and just had that special moment, a moment of pure happiness, pure content.

I don't think that the water cooler was the reason why I thought this - although I do enjoy water - it was just a glimpse of my ring that I love - and it reminded me that I love and that I am loved.

Alright, enough gush.

I was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives last night while falling asleep and they were in this tiny little diner in California - where the owner, years ago, packed up everything - moved to Italy and learned how to cook authentic Italian food. Can you imagine? Packing everything up and following a dream like that? Pure bliss. Anyways, he made Pasta Carbonara - I paid attention and made it tonight. I tried to make it as low fat as possible.

Pasta Carbonara

150 grams of pancetta - chopped into very small cubes
Linguini - I used whole wheat pasta - half a box
1/2 cup of white wine
1 can of evaporated skim milk (large can)
4 cloves of garlic - minced
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cup of frozen peas - Safeway has a great organic brand that are really good
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese

Boil the pasta until al dente.

In a large saucepan, add a tbsp of olive oil, heat over medium heat and add the chopped pancetta. Saute until crispy. Add the garlic.

When the pancetta is crisp add the white wine and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Add the milk and continue to let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the egg whites and stir continuously. Then add the peas, the cheese and mix well. Then add the al dente pasta right from the boiling water. Stir to ensure that the pasta is well coated. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the egg yolks and stir to ensure that they mix into the sauce.

And with all of that - it is read to serve.

For next time - I think that I would try using something different than pancetta. Perhaps some bacon. I didn't like the texture of the pancetta - and I think that is what Chris didn't love about it either. Nonetheless, I will definitely be making this one again.

Next time I will make it vegetarian - and it will be just as delicious I think.

Luvva luvva.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: