Saturday, February 19, 2011

Number 1


Macaroon hearts for my sweetheart for Valentines - from Fol Epi

It's been ages. I am setting a pattern. I don't write forever, then I write, and then I wait forever to write again.

I haven't really been well. I don't want to get into details. I know that I will be ok, but I need to do something that I haven't done in a very long time - and that is taking care of me - making my health and well-being my number one priority. I struggle with that. I struggle with that A LOT.

I have 2 legs that will take me anywhere. I have two arms that will let me lift whatever I need to lift. I have a heart that loves. With this I need to be confident in the body that I have been given - make it better and treat it the way that it should be treated.

Breathe.

To start the new way of life - I have started to visit a trainer. I have been to her twice. Her name is Tanya, and she has a great little studio - Force of Nature - that I will be going to twice a week. The first day we just met for the first time and had a consultation. She asked me a bunch of questions - took my measurements and weighed me - I did not want to know those numbers. Maybe in a couple of months I will. Then we met one other time for our first workout. It was hard. Very hard. And as a result 2 days later I can still not walk properly. I can't really sit properly or bend over. I thought that my butt and legs were broken, but Chris reassured me 100 times that it's impossible and that it will just feel better soon. I hope he's right.

Alright enough about me - I do have a recipe to share. Finally.


Jules gave Chris a deep fryer for Christmas. We hadn't used it until this past Saturday when Steph came over for dins and a Canuck game. She basically took over the cooking of the deep frying - which was a huge help.

On the menu that night was fries, onion rings, bison and turkey burgers. Ok, as you are reading this you are probably wondering why I ate onion rings and fries when I am saying that I need to get healthy. STOP WONDERING!! :) Actually it was just a treat - and I definitely did not overindulge.

Onion Rings

1 medium sized onion
1 cup of beer
1 cup of flour
Kosher salt and pepper

This is an easy recipe to prep - the time is in the frying.

Mix together the beer and flour, kosher salt and pepper and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
Slice the onion into thin slices.
Prepare the oil as per your deep fryer instructions.

Dip a couple of rings in the beer and flour mixture, and then gently place them in the oil and fry for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes, remove the onion rings from the deep fryer and place them on a paper towel lined baking sheet, to help drain some of the oil, and then sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.

Serve and eat!!!

I made another version of onion rings that were baked. They too were delicious. You can check out the Baked Onion Rings HERE.

It's a gorgeous Saturday afternoon here in Victoria. We started out the day with a beautiful dog walk at MacCauley Point - so lovely. We have a guitar lesson this afternoon - and then I am coming home to try a new recipe of meatloaf, steamed brocolli and roasted yams.

I hope that you are all enjoying the weekend.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: