Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday sweets



Lovin' Saturdays. I am especially lovin' this Saturday because it is so beautiful out. It's been a slow day - which is perfect b/c Chris and I have just started a week of holidays - so it's just perfect. I have done a dog walk, some errands, hung out with Chris at a music store and have done some baking.

For our wedding, I gave Chris an electric guitar. Chris LOVES music. He loves mostly heavy rock, but has a love for so many different types of music. We weren't going to do presents but I really wanted to give him something that he would love and have forever - although he was getting me, I wanted something to go with me. :) At first I was going to get him an Acoustic guitar, but I casually asked him one day about guitars and he let me know that he would love an Electric. So... that's what I gave him.

He loves his guitar. He plays as much as he can and has bought a ton of books to try and learn. For Christmas, my mom gave me an electric guitar too. I am not as in love with it as Chris is. Hence, I don't practice nearly enough, but it is fun, and we have a goal to have a song down pat by next Christmas.

I made my mom's Banana Bread recipe today. I didn't add raisins, because I didn't have any, and used pecans instead of walnuts. I doubled the recipe, and made 1 large pan and 4 small pans. In two of the small pans, I added chocolate chips to the batter. I haven't tried them yet, they are still cooling, but I am hoping that they turn out as good as my mom's.

I also tried another recipe that I have been wanting to try for a long time. The recipe is for Lemon Curd. I saw the recipe on Sprouted Kitchen. The recipe called for Meyer lemons. When I saw the recipe I had not heard of Meyer lemons. I have heard that they are different from regular yellow lemons - as they are supposed to much more sweeter than regular lemons. I found them at the Root Cellar - so have been so excited to try this recipe.

These lemons are almost orange in colour. They are petite and they have a relatively thin peel. They are extremely fragrant, but I didn't feel that they were sweeter than regular lemons. They weren't as sour as them, but I almost think that they had a similar taste to a grapefruit, but still lemony. Oh I don't really know - they are just different.

Lemon Curd

1/2 cup juice of Meyer Lemons - I used 4
1/3 cup cane sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
6 tbsp of butter

Before you start whisking (you will have muscles when you are done) place a mesh strainer over a bowl.

In a medium sized saucepan add all of the ingredients except the butter. Whisk everything together so that it is nice and smooth.

Place the saucepan on low heat and add the butter. Whisk to help the butter melt and incorporate into the liquid. When it is all melted, turn the heat to medium and whisk, whisk and keep whisking. Don't stop. The yellowy goodness will start to thicken, and when it reaches a thick pudding texture you can remove it from the heat and pour it through the strainer. Once it is all through the strainer, place it in the fridge and let it cool.

This batch turned out quite bright yellow. The eggs I used were organic and very bright yellow.

And that's it. You can serve it on anything I think. I think that it may even be nice on our banana bread. I also think that it may be a nice treat to have with a little plain yogurt.

I am really excited b/c I am going to try making this in the summer with limes. I LOVE LIMES.

Alright friends I hope that you have had a wonderful Saturday. If not - get to it! :)

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: