Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What would it be?

If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Pez. Cherry flavoured pez. No doubt about it.

Recognize that?

I'll give you a hint: It's one of my favourite movies. I went to see it twice in a row when it came to the wee movie theatre in Kitimat.

Stand By Me.

Oh I love that movie. I love that movie almost as much as when my dad and I would say it to one another. Not really sure why in entertained us so much, but it would. I know that when I see him again, I will ask him that question, and he will know exactly what to say. Loves.
This face - I would give him anything that he wanted. Loves!!!

I was with my nephew the other day. We were out for a walk, chatting, hanging out, I was loving the time with him, and he was too - I know it. :) Anyways, I asked him this. His first response, almost before I could ask the question was 'chicken wings'. That kid can eat chicken wings like no other. If he were a lady, it would not be ladylike. He can shovel those in, to the point we have to remind him to share with others. He pretends that the chicken wings have got in his ears and he just keeps eating. Bless his heart. Then he changed his mind - he changed it to 'oranges'. Then he asked if there was going to be drinks, I said 'yes', so he changed his mind again. His final answer was 'eggs'. He picked eggs b/c they were delicious and full of protein.

My answer... was quite a bit different. I also answered before the question was asked with 'chocolate'. What??? I know that it isn't fruit or vegetables, or protein, or healthy, but I can't help it. I love it.

I asked my mom and she answered with 'vegetables'. I told her that she had to change her answer - mostly b/c I didn't like it. What?? She's my mom. So she thought about it again and said 'bread pudding'.

So - what would you pick? If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would be?

Good times.

I went to Jules' tonight for dinner. Hello - do I love a mid-week break from cooking. Before dinner, after work, I had my workout. So far, my body is not broken, but I am not promising tomorrow that I will be able to walk. It was a 45 minute workout - and it kicked my butt. I sweated, I swore, I whimpered, I swore more, and then it was over and then I smiled.

Jules made a lovely chicken soup with dumplings. It was aromatic, it was flavourful, it was hearty, it was warm, and it was so incredibly delicious. Recipe will be posted shortly b/c I have another one of her recipes to post.

When I was not well, I had to go into Emergency b/c I was so dehydrated and couldn't keep anything in my stomach. That night when I got home, I was all of a sudden starving and what was on the table when I got in? A mini loaf of my mom's banana bread. I had 3 slices and it was pure heaven. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. Although it didn't cure me - it was so delicious and an incredible change from what I had been eating. When I arrived tonight there were a bunch of loaves and one was for us. I am pretty sure it is the same weight as a 10 lb brick but I won't complain. Oh! Not because it is dry and heavy - but b/c it is so big.


Jules' Banana Bread

Dry ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Wet ingredients:
3/4 cup mazola oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup raisins (soak in boiling water and then drain)

*If you like walnuts, add those too. It will be worth it!

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients together. In another bowl mix all of the wet ingredients together. Then mix the wet into the dry.

If you are using a large loaf pan, bake for 55-60 minutes. If you are using small loaf pans you can bake for 45 minutes.

And that's it. This is such a nice treat and it is so comforting. Banana bread always reminds me of my mom, and there is no other like hers.
I had to get a pic of the knife is probably older than I am (21 - ha)

I have a bunch of bananas that are ripening and I will be using this recipe and I WON'T be adding chocolate chips.

Alright friends. I hope you had a great day.

Loves.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I ♥ banana bread. I will try this recipe for sure.
I'm glad you are feeling better!!
On another note, my word verification is "dope"...lol...not sure why that tickles my fancy,but it does.hehe

Ashlea Taylor said...

This banana bread looks great! One of my favorites for sure. Pretty much anything with banana does it for me. :)

C. Mitchell said...

Jenny, let me know if you like it. Dope - good one!!
Ashlea - thanks for stopping by. I am the same way - I love bananas - especially banana bread.