Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yes... I watch American Idol

I have just snuggled in for a long spring's night, curled up with my laptop and American Idol on the tube. I watched a bit of the first season of AI (that's what I like to call it - it sounds kinda cool I think) and then I watched the season when Clay Aiken was on. My mom was in love with Clay Aiken. I think that she still is. Anyways, this season I peaked in on it a couple of times when they were picking the finalists - and now I am hooked on it. To be honest, I am not really sure why I am sharing this with you - I guess I just felt it important that I tell you what I am doing.

I just had a slice of my mom's banana bread. Since I am being honest tonight - I need to tell you that I could eat the whole damn loaf. But, I am withholding. I am being ladylike. It is so moist. This may sound weird, but the moistness reminds me of roasted marshmallows. Yum!!

Last night's dinner was made by my mom. When I go there for dinner, she ALWAYS sends Chris home with dinner and usually enough for lunch the next day. He is spoiled. And he appreciates it very much. I am excited to share the recipe and I know that Jules is too. You can see her in Guest Chef Series HERE.

Jules loves cookbooks - that is probably where I get my addiction to cookbooks and cooking magazines.

Jules Chicken and Dumpling Soup

For the following ingredients, in order, layer in your slow cooker
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped potatoes (small pieces)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup shredded green cabbage
1 cup whole mushrooms sliced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs - cut into 1 inch pieces - you could use chicken breasts if you prefer

Combine:
2 cups of chicken broth
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1/4 tsp crushed dried rosemary
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper

Pour this over the chicken and vegetables. Add 1 bay leaf. Cook in the slow cooker, covered, on low heat for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.

Rosemary Dumplings
1 cup flour
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp rosemary
Mix the dry ingredients together.
1 egg - beaten
3 tbsp buttermilk or sour milk*
2 tbsp oil
Mix into the dry ingredients

The dumplings take 30 minutes - so you can them prior to the soup being done. Drop by teaspoonful on the soup in single layers. Cook covered on high.

*Sour milk - 3 tbsp of milk and 1/2 tsp of vinegar

And that's the hearty, delicious, wanna-eat-again-real-soon Chicken and Dumplings Soup. Yumma.

Chris rated this a 15!

Alright - I have to focus on AI. Have a good night! The weekend is almost here, so don't forget to smile.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: