Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kale what???

I think that I will pass on talking about our Canucks for this post. It was only one game - and I am pretty sure that they will come back with a vengeance tomorrow night - and we will watch the game and we will cheer, and dance and hug and laugh... when they win. Breathe!

I mentioned that I have been going to a trainer, Tanya, for about 2 months now. She is great! She's great in the way that she is just so positive, so encouraging and just so nice. She is also great in the way that she makes my legs and arms burn, she makes me feel stomach muscles that I didn't know I had and she makes me sweat in an unattractive way. She is great in that way, IF, you like that sort of thing.

No pain, no gain. As much as that is a cheesy saying, it really is true. I know that when my stomach is so tired that I can't eat dinner, or that my legs are so sore that I can barely climb the stairs to Starbucks the next day or that my arms are so sore I have a hard time typing - I know that it is all so good for me. It is just making me stronger. It is easier at this point to just give up, I know that, but for the first time in a long time, I am asking myself - why I would even consider it.

I went to a new workout session the other day - Hit to Fit. I loved it. I can't wait to go again. It kind of cracks me up that I am excited about a grueling workout.

It's a struggle for me - and I think that it always will be. For me, getting healthy, is going to be a lifestyle change. When I started working with Tanya, she asked me what my goals were; I told her that I wanted to be healthy. That goal hasn't changed. What worries me about my goal is that when I have done classes, courses, running for my life, there is always a time when the session or course is over. This time, I can't have an end date, and that's what worries me. There has always been and end date and when the date comes, I finish what I am doing and don't carry on. I know that I need to be different this time. I need to make it a part of my life. So my goal to be healthy is still going to be achievable but I need to add to that to make this all a part of my life. A lifestyle change.

Change!

Speaking of change, I had chips last week - Kale Chips. If I had a choice I would prefer ripple or cheddar, but after I had these, I am hooked. My trainer told me about them, so I knew that I had to try them.


Kale Chips

1 bunch of kale
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
Kosher salt

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

Wash and dry the kale. Trim off the stem - apparently these are tasty to snack on. Then cut the kale into smallish - chip size - pieces. Place them in a large bowl and drizzle the olive oil over top. Try using the first tbsp and use your hands to mix it in so that the kale pieces are lightly coated. If you need more of the oil, be sure to add it.

Place the kale pieces on a lined cookie sheet - either parchment or aluminum foil. Then add pinches of kosher salt. Yumma kosher salt.

Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.

The chips will be crispy - and when you place them in your mouth they will first be crispy and then they will almost melt in your mouth.

They are delicious.

Alright friends - I hope that you are looking forward to this long weekend. I know that I sure am.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: