Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What happens in the pool, should stay at the pool.

Tonight was the 2nd time in 2 weeks that I put on the suit and went to Aquafit. Don't worry I didn't just wear the suit to the pool, I put clothes on over top. And... don't worry, I won't show you a picture of me in it.

It's a pretty good, hour long workout. It gets my heart rate up, I can work as hard as I can, and I can feel as light as a feather. It's a good alternative to my trainer workout - lord knows that I need to do as much activity as I can during the week.

I love swimming. Love it. I love the water. I love wearing the suit. Now, that being said, I am not a huge fan of pools. I was thinking tonight after class as I was trying to be modest and hide as I was getting dressed - beside a older rather larger woman walking around in the naked talking up a storm sharing her bits with everyone - and as a group of girl Sea Cadets came in (about 20 of them) who took my hiding spot on the bench, and were asking over and over to one another if they had to wear a tshirt over their bikini and ecstatic when they knew they didn't have to - all of the memories I have of the pool as a youngster.

Here let me share:

- in grade 3, we went with our class swimming - and after in the changing rooms I got in trouble for singing out loud (very loudly) - 'In the land of Mars where the ladies wear no bras, but the men don't care 'cause they wear no underwear'.
- when I was about 8 I had just got a brand new purple sparkly comb from Field's (I loved that comb) and someone stole it out of my bag at the pool. I knew who did and approached the girl but she told me it was hers and didn't give it back to me. Why do people steal? I was devastated, Field's had good combs.
- when I was 20 my dad took my sister and bro to the Hot Spring's for a night. It was fancy :) The next day, my sister and dad were sitting on the side of the pool and my brother and I were in the pool. I told them all to watch me do a handstand. I went down and didn't realize how close I was to the bottom and my ring finger on my right hand hit the bottom of the pool when it was stiff. I heard it crack under water and I broke the bone connected to the finger in my hand. My family was laughing hysterically as I was screaming. My brother wanted to pull it out of socket. NO! And my dad told me that I sprained it. 2 weeks later I could still not move it and it was so huge as it had swelled up. We still laugh about it to this day. And I especially laugh at how I never went to the doctor to get it looked at
- this is a non pool story - but it's a good one. I like to call it 'Ride the wave'. Cuzzie Marsha knows it. Chris and I went to Bowen to visit a couple of summers ago. They have an incredible deck right down on the water - the water is very deep there - you basically just float around, just off the rocks - loving it all. Well we started to come in and climb the latter, when all of a sudden the waves picked up. I could not get to the latter. The waves got a little bigger and they were sending me flying a bit. Marsha and Chris were standing up on the deck and Marsha was yelling 'Ride the wave Shirl, ride the wave'. After about 20 minutes I made it in. Whoa. We still laugh about it now.

Ok, that is enough pool side talk for now.

I have a delicious pasta recipe to share. I LOVE this dish. Mrs. Sherstan gave it to me many years ago. She is an amazing cook - so I knew that if she made it, that it would definitely be good.

Broccoli - many people don't know what to do with the stalks and only use the crowns. I prefer the stalks over the crowns. I love them. Chris loves the crowns - so we are a perfect match :) Not only can you put them in this pasta dish, they are delicious to snack on raw and they are perfect in stir frys as well.


Bow-tie pasta with broccoli stalks

1 pack of bow tie pasta - you don't necessarily need to use bow tie but I like the smaller pieces that easily soak up the broccoli
2-3 cups of broccoli stalks chopped into very small pieces (4 stalks)
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of olive oil
Kosher salt
Parmesan cheese


This is really the easiest pasta dish.

Boil the pasta until al dente. Save a cup of the pasta water for the sauce if needed.

In a pan saute the garlic for 1 minute and then add the broccoli and a pinch of kosher salt. Saute over medium heat until the broccoli softens slightly - about 15 minutes. Add some of the pasta water to make the sauce a little more saucy. Add the drained pasta to the sauce stir to ensure that it is all mixed together and then add parmesan cheese - add as much as you like.


And that's it really. Easy, quick, and super flavourful.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To this day I am soooo sorry about your finger,but you do know how to make people laugh