Monday, May 2, 2011

Egg noodle Love.



I wasn't really going to write about this. I thought that I would keep it to myself and those who see me on a daily basis. Last week my doctor told me that I had Bell's Palsy. When I found out - I thought - you have got to be kidding me! I had never heard of it before - and just thought - what next? Then my doctor told me that Jean Chretien had Bell's Palsy, and I just about had a heart attack thinking that it was permanent. Bad example, doc.

I knew that something was wrong when my co-workers were telling me that it looked and sounded like I had just come from the dentist with freezing in my mouth. I hadn't. By midday on Thursday my left side of my bottom lip was a bit fat and my mouth was a bit off center.

I am self conscience about it, but I know that I am lucky that I have a very minimal case of it and that it could be a lot worse. I have to be truthful though - that I was just so frustrated that something else has come up. It's been a bit of a rough year for me for some reason. The only thing that I ever tend to get each year is a cold - and this year has been different. I will keep positive and know that all the working out and eating healthy is paying off and if I wasn't doing the workouts and eating healthy - I think that it could be worse.

For tonight's dinner I got the recipe from The Pioneer Woman. I read it a couple of months ago, a recipe with egg noodles. Since then I have been thinking about egg noodles. Wake up in the morning - egg noodles. Walk my dogs - egg noodles. Watch hockey - egg noodles. Chris bought two bags of egg noodles - one for his turkey soup, which was divine, and another bag for who knows why. Anyways - I am guessing that you know where I am going with this. That's right - egg noodle bake.

At first I was really excited to try this. Then as I was making it, I didn't think that it was going to be all that delicious, then I pulled it out of the oven and smelled how incredible it was and then tasted it - and it was definitely worth trying.

Chris got whole wheat noodles - so I didn't feel so badly for having a nice sized bowl of this. It's a hearty, delicious meal that I will definitely make again.

Baked Egg Noodles

1 bag of egg noodles
1 pound of ground meat - beef, chicken, turkey, pork...
1/2 tsp of pepper flakes
Kosher salt and pepper
2 cups of thinly sliced mushrooms
2 cups of tomato sauce - whatever you have on hand
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
1 cup of sour cream
1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese
1 cup of shredded cheddar

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

Boil the egg noodles until al dente. At the same time, saute the ground meat in a skillet and add mushrooms and continue to saute until meat is evenly cooked. Add pepper flakes, a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. When the meat is cooked add the tomato sauce and continue to let it simmer over low heat.

Drain the noodles and place it back in the pot. Add a pinch of kosher salt, the green onions, sour cream and cottage cheese. Mix well.

Add the noodles to a casserole dish. Then top with the tomato sauce. And then with the cheese.

Bake in the 350 oven for 25 minutes.

And that's it. Serve it hot and serve a lot.

Alright friends - I hope that your Monday was good to you.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: