Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day



Happy Mother's Day.

To all the wonderful, loving, supportive moms, grandmas, stepmoms, aunts you don't need a day to tell you how special you are - but because you do - I hope that you are having a great day with your loved ones.

I spent the morning with my mom. I took her to brunch at Aura at the Laurel Point Inn. We had a great brunch. We ate way too much. We had a lovely view of the inner harbour, and it was so nice to just spend some good one on one time together. I love you mom!

I am missing Chris' mom today. This is the first mother's day for he and his family without their mom. Everyday is hard without a loved one, but days like these often are just a bit harder remembering that they aren't here. Chris was always good to his mom on Mother's Day. He always brought her flowers and chocolate.

For dinner tonight - I think that I will just have to think of food and not actually eat anything. I am still far too full from brunch. I think that we are going to be getting together with my mom, sister and nephews for dinner. Not sure what we'll have but it needs to be something healthy. I am getting my measurements done on Tuesday - and I will need to be able to suck in the stom...

I whipped up a very fast pasta dish last night. I found it on a blog that I check out often - Framed Cooks - she found the recipe in the recent edition of Bon Appetit. I love pasta. I love rustic, easy dishes that are full of flavour. Chris' mom used to say that I should have been 'Eye-talian' because I like to cook pasta so much.

I saw this recipe and knew that I needed to give it a try. It is super easy, super quick and so incredibly full of flavour. You should try it - you'll love it.


Pasta al pomodaro

1 medium sized onion - diced
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic - diced
1 tsp of sugar
12 basil leaves
2 tbsp of butter
Kosher salt
Pepper
Spaghetti
Parmesan - freshly grated if you can - and lots of it

In a large skillet, saute the onion in a tbsp of olive oil. Add a pinch of kosher salt and saute for 8 minutes then add the garlic and saute for another minute. With a hand blender or in a food processor, blend the diced tomatoes. Add the tomatoes to the skillet, along with the kosher salt and pepper and basil leaves. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering, boil the water for the pasta. Salt the water for the pasta - add a generous couple of pinches to it. I don't normally do this - but it really made a difference - and the pasta was delish. Boil the pasta for 6 minutes - not until it is al dente.

Add the butter to the sauce and stir to let it all melt in and remove the basil leaves from the sauce.

After 6 minutes, use a slotted spoon or tongs and take the pasta from the pot and add it to the sauce. Then let the pasta continue to cook in the sauce. Add a cup of the pasta water to the sauce.

Add a bunch of cheese and stir together. And then serve it up.

The pasta is silky and smooth - and the flavour is divine.

When I was backpacking through Europe many years ago - we were in Florence and we decided to eat out one night - which was a huge treat for us. We found this little restaurant off the beaten track and had pasta. The pasta was almost exactly like this dish. At first when it was served, I remember thinking 'uh this is it??' - and then the first taste was like an explosion of flavour in my mouth. It was a treat last night - sitting down after a long day with my love - and having a delicious bowl of pasta.

Alright - time to probably vacuum and hang out with my hub.

Have a great Sunday - and get ready for another full week.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, I loved the brunch, and I will remember. Thank yu so much Hon, I love you.