Sunday, May 22, 2011

Remember me?




My oh my - it's been a long time since I have been here.

I went to Summerland to visit my brother and his family last weekend. I tried to do a post before I left by Blogger was down. This past week has been very busy so I finally have a few minutes to post an update.

Summerland was so great. I just love it there. My nieces and nephew are so much fun to hang out with - I wish that we lived closer together. We planted their vegetable garden - corn, zucchini, potatoes, onions, carrots, squash and cucumbers. I told them that I would be heading up there when summer is done and it's time to pick everything. My brother served me gin and tonics all weekend - and they are now my new favourite drink. I had only had one once before and I didn't like it at all - it was far too bitter - now that bitterness is so refreshing.

I am not sure if you remember, but about 3 months ago, I started working out with my new trainer Tanya. I had a few challenges - but after 3 months it's been a pretty positive experience. Two weeks ago, we did my measurements from when we started and I have lost 20 inches. I kind of can't believe that that much has come off. It freaks me out too - that I had that much - and have much more to go - to come off. I have only lost 10 pounds since then - but the inches are obviously the way to look at the success. I have a lot more to go - and I plan to keep doing what I am doing. I have joined the gym in my office building and will do cardio a couple of times a week there with also doing Hit to Fit.

I have learned from this experience, for the first time in my life, that diet and exercise does really work. I have always pretty much done one or the other. I have not been having the mindset that I am on a diet - I have just been trying to eat as healthy as possible, watching how much I am eating and not eating if I am not hungry. Who knew??? It really does make a huge difference. I love treats - so I am trying to have a healthy treat instead of eating a chocolate bar. And if there may 'happen' to be a chocolate bar in the house - then I will try to have a piece of one, instead of having it all.

I am proud of myself and know that if I keep doing what I am doing and although times can be really challenging - I know that the results are worth it. I still have a lot to go - but now that I know that it is possible it just makes me to keep going.

One thing that I am trying to do for dinner during the week is to make meat and vegetables - try to stay away from the carbs and starches. That sometimes isn't always possible - sometimes I feel like pasta or rice - but if I buy things on the weekend to make that possible, it makes things a lot easier.

A couple of weeks ago I made a stir fry with chicken, vegetables and spicy thai sauce. It was a light dinner, full of flavour and something that I'll definitely make again.

Spicy Vegetable Chicken Stir Fry

1 onion - chopped
1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cut into thin slices - cutting in the grain
2 garlic cloves - minced
1/2 of a red cabbage - chopped into short small strips
1 red and yellow pepper - chopped into small pieces
8-10 mushrooms - sliced
1/4 - 1/2 cup thai chili sauce
Kosher salt and pepper

In a large skillet saute the onion in a tbsp of olive oil. Add a pinch of kosher salt. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and let it saute for about 20 minutes - until the chicken is cooked.

And that's it. A super easy and fast dinner.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: