Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Boondocks.



Down in the boondocks. Down in the boondocks. People put me down 'cause that's the side of town I was born on.

I wasn't born in the boondocks. I was born in Kitimat. That is a song that a friend of mine sang in our Grade 8 Science class. She sang it over and over again during the class. I thought it was absolutely hilarious that someone would just sing randomly. I also thought that it was hilarious that she tried to teach me the song. After all these years I still remember that part of the song. I didn't end up doing so well in Science 8, I blame it on the boondocks.

That friend of mine was Lori. We weren't close friends in school, but we had a common bond b/c our brothers played hockey together and my dad coached them. Years later, through my good friend Jocelyn, we reacquainted and she is still as funny as I remember her back in grade 8.
Isn't she so pretty!
Lori is the type of good friend that you may not see for years, but when you get together with her you can talk for ages. She mentioned that she reads my blog - so I wanted to give her a 'hoorah' and let her know that I heart her and that I had a great visit with her when I was back home.

Hi Lori!!!

For dinner tonight - it was a bit of a treat, b/c Chris was off so he did the pork on the grill. I love it when that happens. I felt like I didn't have to do too much for dinner when I got home. I didn't make anything new - but both of these dishes are worth whipping up. Super easy, super tasty.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Salsa Verde - I used basil and cilantro for my fresh herbs
Greek Orzo Salad - basically greek salad and orzo mixed together

I made these little treats on the weekend. I can't remember where I saw them, but when I did I knew that I had to give them a try. I love zucchini. I love it roasted, sauteed, in spaghetti sauce, grilled, you name it. So when I saw these, I couldn't believe there was another way to enjoy it.


Zucchini Fries

2 medium sized zucchini - sliced into thin strips
3 tbsp of flour (I only had whole wheat and it worked out just fine)
2 eggs - well beaten
1/2 cup of bread crumbs (I used panko)
1/4 cup of parmesan

Pre-heat the oven to 425. LIne a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Using 3 different bowls, add the flour to one, the beaten eggs to another and the bread crumbs and parmesan in another. Season the zucchini strips with kosher salt.

Dip the zucchini strip into the flour, then the eggs and then the bread crumbs and then place on the baking sheet. I would recommend doing this one at a time - or it can get messy quickly. If you haven't used this process before, use one hand for the flour and the bread crumbs and another for the eggs.

Bake in the 425 oven for 20 minutes. They will be nice and crispy and golden and you will want to dig in right away.

I served these with the most simplest dip in the world.
Sour cream and fresh chopped dill. Deelish.

Alrighty friends - hump day is almost over - and then the weekend is right around the corner. Right around!!!

Loves.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I have a shout out on C.Mitchell Presents!...I need to share that it's so true--i love your blog~ i love your beautiful stories about Mr. Micthell, and your funny stories about Mrs Mitchell. I love your honest truths, your witty banter, your amazing memory,your comforting photgraphy, and your amazing recipes! It's true. :)..Now about the Boondocks and Science: Mr Stewart bored me...and i knew your gifts would be with words and comfort- not..uhh welll...whatever they teach in grade 8 science ..LOL...I enjoyed our visit so much Cheryl and i am so glad we were able to catch up a little bit...i look forward to a sitting around one day with some appies and a cocktail on a warm day!! P.S. My parents are bringing out some 'bake apples' for you to cook with-i will forward them ! I look forward to the recipe on C.MitchellPresents :)....
And for those who want to liisten to a a little Boondocks....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSWRlDoXbYU

C. Mitchell said...

You're so funny! Chris and I watched the video - so good. Mr. Stewart - I can't believe you remembered his name - I can't remember him for the life of me. Baked apples - OMG - tell me how they are!!! I hope that you're having a good weekend! C.