Sunday, July 17, 2011

I heart tomatoes




After an early start to the day yesterday - a dog walk, errands, groceries, hanging out with my husband - I got my cook on. I haven't planned on cooking a few different dishes at the same time, in a long time. I think that with all the fresh fruit and local vegetables that it is getting me in the mood.

Although it's not quite peak tomato season, I made a light tomato salad yesterday that was delicious and simple. When I say simple, I mean so simple, but it's so beautiful no one will ever need to know. It's similar to this tomato salad that I make often during the summer, just a bit of a different presentation (and cheese).


Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Stacked Salad

2 tomatoes
8-10 basil leaves
4-6 slices of soft mozzarella
Balsamic vinegar and olive oil for drizzling

Slice each tomato into 1 inch slices. Then slice the soft mozzarella about the same width. Once that is done - you are almost ready to enjoy it. Stack the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella so that each stack has 3-4 slices of tomato, 4-5 basil leaves and 3 slices of cheese. Then drizzle lightly with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I made two of these for us, and I only put the balsamic on mine, and it was delicious.


Once tomato season is in it's peak, there will definitely be more of these salads being made.

I hope you all have had a great weekend - it's almost done :(

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: