Monday, August 29, 2011

Blueberry memories.

One love, one life...

Did you think that I was going to talk about my wedding song? Although I could probably talk about that at great lengths, tonight I am not talking about my wedding. Although... it was so much fun and I will remember dancing for the first time with my new husband.

Tonight - I am singing about my love for blueberries. I know that I have talked about this love before. How can I stop?

I had a great visit with my cuzzie, Margo on Saturday in Coombs. If you haven't been there - you should go - it's so much fun - and there is the best market there. We did our annual fur trade. She brings me blueberries and I pay her in fur. Well not really, she prefers cash. Well, not really - she would try and run without taking the money - it's an odd family trait that we all share. Although last year, I paid her in HBC popcorn and a faux fur that she wore in my wedding. Uh - ok, I will stop talking about my wedding now.
She brought me two boxes of delicious organic blueberries. We had lunch, we visited, we shopped a bit and then we talked about how we will need to make this an annual event. I am so blessed to have an awesome cousin and best friend.

When I was a kid, we used to visit my dad's parents every summer in Vancouver. My grandma was an amazing cook and entertainer. There are a few recipes that I remember her making every summer, and to this day, they are still my favouritea. One of my favourites that I remember her making every summer was her blueberry pie. I remember that delicious pie and how incredible it always looked. It was a genuine piece of art.

I often wonder if this is the reason for why I love blueberries so much. I secretly hope so.


Yesterday I made this, using my aunt's pie crust. There was one point when I felt like my grandma. Our kitchen was really warm and my grandma's kitchen was always hot in the afternoon and early evening. I remember her always cooking and baking with such grace, despite the heat, and she always made the most wonderful creations. I am sure that I have no where near her grace, but it made feel special for a moment, that I have followed in her footsteps baking a blueberry pie on a hot summer day.


Blueberry Pie

1 baked pie crust (cooled) - you can find that HERE - I forgot to add a 1-2 tbsp of sugar, and I am happy that I did - it didn't need it at all

4 cups of blueberries
1/4 cup of water
2/3 cup of sugar
2 tbsp of cornstarch and 1/4 tsp
2 tbsp of water
Whipped cream for topping

In a saucepan, cook 3/4 of a cup of blueberries and 1/4 cup of water until tender. Force through a sieve to mash thoroughly. Place the juice in the saucepan, add the sugar and 1/4 tsp of cornstarch. Mix together. In a separate dish, mix the 2 tbsp of cornstarch with the 2 tbsp of water to blend. Add to the blueberry juice and cook over medium heat - stirring until smooth and creamy.

Place the remaining blueberries in a bowl and pour the blueberry sauce (it will be very hot) over top of the blueberries. Mix and then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Place the blueberries in the pie shell, serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

My mom and Chris were my testers. At first my mom said 'it's not the best pie that I have had' and Chris said that 'it was ok'. And then they kept eating it - and my mom then said that I had changed her from not loving blueberries and Chris said that it was delicious and wanted another piece.

I dare you to try this. Do it. You won't be disappointed.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, the pie was great, and you are right, I loved your blueberry pie, will eat again if offered, you are a grat cook, and I loved the pastry, without the sugar