Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bubblegum

Well it has been a great day today. Point Roberts is a gem. Not so much a hidden gem - although not everyone knows where it is, it's a pretty popular place.

My nephew and I did a quick trip to the ice cream store today. It isn't really an 'ice cream' store - but they have hard ice cream to have as a treat - with lots of flavours. The wee'in picked bubblegum flavour and it reminded me of me when I used to pick bubblegum ice cream.

When we were kids we used to spend a good chunk of the summer in Vancouver with my dad's parents. Us kids, mostly my sister and I would stay there on our own with them - my brother was usually at hockey camp. Almost every night, my grandma would give my sister and I money so that we could walk to Swenson's at Oakridge Mall. It was about a 20 minute walk, and we would head off so excited to get there so that we could treat ourselves to the best treat. We would get there and my sister would beg me to try a new flavour, but I would also pick bubblegum. The ice cream was full of gum balls. I used to carry the ice cream cone in one hand, and a sticky dirty napkin in the other that was full of the gum balls that I would spit into the napkin, so that I could enjoy the gum when I was done the cone. Ugh. I can just picture what I looked like. I would have had ice cream everywhere - super sticky hands - gum in my hair - and a covered face. I still eat ice cream cones in a relatively similar way - but I never do the gum ball flavour - it's all chocolatey flavour for me now.

Tonight I made dinner for the crowds. Simple - cottage food - using whatever is in the fridge. My aunt brought a delicious quinoa salad, and you should all know how I love the quinoa. Before I show you the picture of the foods that I made, please consider my bbq'ing ability and that I lack in that skill. Husband is the bbq'er in our household, so I don't have a lot of practice. The taste was so much better than the look though - and I know that this is true because everyone ate it all up. And I noticed that when they were eating it they weren't getting me to look away so that they cold slip it to the dogs. And they didn't go to the bathroom every bite. And they didn't pretend to cough into their napkin. All gone, right to the bone.

Ok, I changed my mind - I am not showing the picture. It just isn't appetizing to look at. I have challenged myself to make it again, so that I can show a picture of it.

Pesto yogurt chicken

4 chicken breasts - bone in - you can do this for boneless, chicken legs or thighs
1.5 cups of plain yogurt
1/2 cup of pesto

In a bowl mix together the pesto and plain yogurt. Add the chicken and cover in the marinade. Cover the bowl and let sit for a couple of hours or overnight.

Heat the grill and cook over medium heat until the chicken is fully cooked. I would say that this will take at least 30 minutes. You can also make this in the oven. 400 for about 45 minutes.

The skin on the chicken was removed as it became quite cajun, but the flavour from the pesto and the moistness from the yogurt, made this chicken divine.


Alright friends - this is my view tonight - lovely. I am going to try and make myself go for a run tomorrow morning - wish me luck.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: