Thursday, August 11, 2011

Go Green.



I am not sure why I love Thursdays so much, but I do. I think that it's Chris' Friday and it means that he is home for the night. We were able to take the pups for a walk and then sit out on the deck for dinner. It seems like we have stopped Thursday night dinner club for now. Oh, actually maybe just for two weeks. Well anyways, a work out with Tanya, always kicks my Thursday night into gear.

Today's session she thought it would be fun to do Tabatas (sp?). If someone tells you that Tabatas are fun - run - they are fibbing. It's where you do an exercise strong for a minute or 45 seconds, then have a 20 second rest, and start the exercise again. We did these side lunge hops first - for I think a minute or 45 seconds and 20 second rest - 8 times. The legs were a burnin'. And then we did a circuit with 5 different things - all pretty much on the mat - but it was hard. I was breathing very heavily and sweating up a storm. I am VERY UNATTRACTIVE when I work out. I can't help it. Sometimes after the gym I go to the grocery store across the street - and I think that b/c my face is super read and I am still pretty much panting, that they think that I am having a heart attack. Whatevs. That's what the cool kids say instead of 'whatever'. I think.

I had a conversation with my dear friend, Beth, today at work. We were talking about the 'slow cooker' and she said that she would marry her slow cooker if she was able to marry a small kitchen appliance. For a minute I had to stop and think if I had asked myself this before. I do say that I like to marry a lot of things - chocolate, cauliflower, Mark Wahlberg, chocolate... but never a small kitchen appliance. Right now I would have to say that it would be my blender. That thing blends - oh does it blend. I do want to get a small food processor, so I may reconsider if I do get one and try it out. What about you? Do you have a fave that you can't live without?

Speaking of blender, I made rice the other night that needed my blender. Oh friends, this rice dish is a treat. I may never go back to plain rice again. I found this recipe in cooking magazine that I had never seen before. It is called Everyday Food - and it's a Martha Stewart magazine. I used to love Martha Stewart's magazine, but I often felt a little under qualified to read the magazine let alone cook something from it. The pages would often say that you 'had to use the very best olive oil', or 'only butter right from the cows udders will work'. Ok, I'm exaggerating. I actually don't dislike Martha - I think that her magazines and recipes are good. Anyways - who brought Martha into this convo. See how I called her Martha? Whattup Martha?? Ok, anyways, this magazine is incredible. I love cooking magazines = not actually cooking the magazine, 'cooking' magazines. LOVE THEM. I would probably marry them if I could. This magazine was so good. It didn't have a lot of ads, it had recipes for produce that was in season right now, and a ton of different types of recipes - easy, a little more advanced - really just about everything.


Green Rice

1 cup of fresh cilantro - pack it in that cup - the flavour is amazing
1/2 of fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 of a white onion
1 3/4 cups of water
Kosher salt and pepper
1 cup of rice - I didn't use brown - I used basmati

In a blender puree all of the ingredients (except the rice) together. It should take 15 seconds. In saucepan, add a drizzle of oil over medium heat and add the rice absorb the oil. Add the herb and water mixture to the rice and increase the heat to high. Bring the rice to a boil, then cover and let simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.

That's it! It's so easy - basically your making rice with fresh herbs. I am definitely going to try this again, and think that I will try it with basil, Beth suggested dill, and even mint.

Alright friends - let me know if you like the new colours of the blog. I am trying to figure out how to make my pictures a bit larger - and I am stuck. Part of being able to make the pics larger was needing a new template.

Ok - off to hang with husband - and get ready for a run nice and early tomorrow morning. We only live once - so we got to do and try things as much as we can.

Loves.

Enjoy!!



2 comments:

Beth said...

oh, my friend. You are funny as balls. "Whuttup, Martha!". You actually made me Ell oh ell. And you know I don't take that shit lightly.

And thank you for the shout-out - I'm practically famous now.

Also, I feel so inspired to try different flavoured rices now.

Also, I love the new blog colours. Very fresh and healthy and vibrant.

Also, this comment box keeps spell-checking my Canadian ass for "colour" and "flavour". EFF YOU COMMENT BOX, I PUT U'S IN WHATEVEUR I WAUNT.

Also, I am out of alsos.

Anonymous said...

Keelyn asked the other day what your favorite color was, and I said green.I love your new color, it is so refreshing and bright to read, and I think the rice sounds delish.(that's short for delicious).I am quite savy now with phone talk, didn't Beth mean LOL?