Thursday, August 18, 2011

Running for my life... again



2 and a half years ago, I strapped on the runners, and became a member of the Sole Sisters running clinic with my friend Maegan. We would run each week as a group and I would 'try' to run on my own during the week. I documented my struggles on my blog - bottom of the page - the 'Running for my life' series. Each week was just as hard as the week before. Each week was as emotional as the week before. And although there were weeks that did seem to be a little easier, oh did I struggle. I struggled with my body, with my conditioning, with my breathing and with my confidence. The next year was just as hard, but I managed to run a little more, and felt slightly more confident. Slightly.

Chris helped name my 'Running for my life' series. He knew that I was struggling with trying to get healthy, trying to get fit - and by doing both of those - it was going to save my life.

Now 2.5 years later, I am running for my life again. This time it's different. I think that I mentioned this before, but this time, I really don't know what the difference is. I think - sorry I KNOW - that a lot of it has to do with my workouts with Tanya. We have done stuff that I never thought that I could do, and each week we workout harder and harder. I have been fortunate to lose a few pounds, which makes me lighter on my feet. I have also made fitness a part of my life. I have had to. It has been a lot easier than I thought that it ever would be.

Yesterday after work I planned to do a 30 minute run on the treadmill. My friend Beth was coming for dinner - and for a split second, I thought that I would miss the gym and go home and tidy up and have dinner ready. And then I slapped myself upside the head and came back to reality. That is something that I definitely would have done before. The cool thing was, is that I was able to go to the gym and workout and still have time to come home and hang out with Beth and have a great dinner together.

Anyways - yesterday I ran just under 5 K in 30 minutes. I was pretty excited. Sorry. I was FRICKIN' excited. It was a great feeling to set the goal and just do it. There were times during the run that I thought I should stop and walk - but I pushed through it. Now I know that I can do it - I plan to do it regularly, and often. I plan to keep adding distance and speed and continue running for my life.

Alright - that was deep.

The other day when I had my tea catastrophe, I made some delicious biscuits. They turned out quite nicely, much more impressive than my first tea try. I found the recipe in a Food Network magazine. The recipe used thyme - I didn't have that on hand - so I used basil. I am definitely going to make these again.


Basil Lemon Biscuits

2 cups of flour - I used all purpose - whole wheat would be just as good
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
8-10 basil leaves - chopped
4 tablespoons of cold butter
1 cup of buttermilk

Pre-heat the oven to 425.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together with a whisk in a medium bowl. With a pastry cutter or your fingers, add in the butter until it is pea size pieces. Slowly add in the buttermilk and gently stir.

Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead 3-5 times. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch and with a 2 inch round cookie cutter*, cut out the biscuits and place them on a baking sheet.

*I used the glass that Chris said 'fell' on to the shelf in the kitchen.

Continue to use the dough - rolling it out - until it is all done. Brush the tops with water and put a light seasoning of kosher salt on top. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Remove from the oven - and serve warm. They were a huge success and for a split second they helped husband and forget about what happened in our kitchen earlier. But a lovely ending to a rough day - homemade biscuits and tea.

Chris rated these a 5!

Find your weekend everyone - enjoy every minute.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: