Monday, September 19, 2011

Easiest appetizer ever



Monday, Monday. As much as I really never want the weekend to end, I really don't mind Mondays. I especially like Mondays when Fall is just around the corner. Or should I say 'Autumn'? I actually never say 'Autumn'. I probably won't start now. I think that I will keep with "Fall'. I love Fall. I love the cold crisp mornings; the colours of oranges, reds and yellows; the abundance of squash and root vegetables; turtleneck sweaters; boots - I will stop now - or I would keep going and going.

This morning was lovely. Cool, but with promise of a blue sky. I was up nice and early, walked the pups, cut watermelon for breakfast and headed to work. A good start to the week must mean that it is going to be a good one.

Last week I had my mom and sister and nephews over for dinner. I decided to try something a little different for an appetizer. Only one didn't find them a hit - the wee'in. The little punk. I saw this recipe when I was in Ontario on the Food Network - Everyday Italian - I modified it b/c I couldn't really remember the recipe, but I knew the jest of it. I am really excited to make these again - except if the little punk is coming.


Smoked salmon mini pizzas

1 package of pizza dough or homemade
3/4 cup of plain yogurt
1/4 cup of fresh dill - finely chopped
100 grams of smoked salmon - thinly sliced - I used lox that I found at the Root Cellar - I am not really sure if 100g is enough - it probably is if it is thinly sliced

Pre-bake the oven to the temperature states on the pizza dough package. Roll out the dough and using round cookie cutter or the top of a glass - cut 12 rounds - about 3 inches across.
Bake until light and golden. Let cool.

In the meantime, mix the plain yogurt and dill together. Set aside. Cut the Lox in to 12 equal sized pieces.

Then make the pizzas. Pizza shell, yogurt dill, and lox.


I should have warned you that these were the easiest things in the world to make. EASY!! I think that a different name would be better - but I can't think of one. Any suggestions?

Alright friends - time to warm last night's leftovers up for the husband. Gumbo recipe - coming soon.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I vote you call them TINY FISH CHOMPS.

They look really good. And I've been on a big dill kick lately. I wonder if a bit of green onion on there would be good, too.

You should do an entry about an AWESOME SOUP EXCHANGE if you had a friend or two who wanted to do that. Mmmmhmmm. Nothing says autumn-fall like a soup exchange.

Remember when we used to do cook-offs at work? I wish we still did.