Monday, September 12, 2011

Memories.



Well we are home safe and sound. We went to Ontario to visit Chris' family, attend his niece's (Lindsay and her husband Craig) wedding and to have a little R&R. It was a great visit. His dad is doing so well. It has been a year since Chris' mom passed - and although it has been a year - it seems like it happened just yesterday. It was really emotional for me at the start of our trip - I missed her greeting us and being able to spend time with her - and I really missed her not being at her granddaughter's wedding. The wedding was beautiful and she would have been in her element - surrounded by all of her kids, grandkids and her husband. I know that she was 'there'.

Just after the wedding with Chris' dad and sister.

Chris' dad is lovely. He is a quiet man, extremely kind, funny and a great dad. We miss him being here with us - hopefully we see him again real soon.

One of the things that I know most of Chris' childhood is how he and his dad would go out to the old farm sites and look for antique bottles. They called it 'bottling'. His dad likes to say that it was his 'sport'. They would go out to the old farmsteads that had been taken over by the Canadian military (his dad was in the Army) and spend hours looking for these antique bottles. Chris would fish, shoot his beebee gun and be there from sun up to sun down.


His dad has carefully placed his bottle collection on bookcases and around the kitchen cabinets. He has carefully selected which bottles that he wants to display and he can probably tell you a story about each one of them.

Although I love hearing stories of my husband childhood - I think that what I love more is that even to this day, many years later, they still have this great bond and are able to reminisce about a huge part of my husband's youth. It just reminds me of how important it is to create memories and remember them. Every day something will happen, good or bad, and just embrace it all.

Oh my - I'm preaching. I just know that I have incredible memories of my childhood, teenage years, college days and so many more - and I feel really blessed to have them.

Alright - let's talk zuke. That's cool talk for Zucchini. No really it is. All the cool kids say it. I think that I heard my 17 year old nephew say it last night. It might have been 'puke' but I think that it was 'zuke'.

Remember how our friends Claire and Christopher brought us zucchini and I baked with it. What the what? I know! I did. Check it out HERE. Well I also cooked some up to go with dinner one night when my mom was here for dinner. I heart zuke - and this dish I thought was very deelish - but it was even better the next day.


Zucchini Tomato Parmesan Bake

3 cups of cube zucchini
2 tomatoes - chopped into cubes
Olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese


In a large skillet, add the olive oil and then the zucchini and saute over medium heat. Add kosher salt - a pinch or two. Saute the zucchini for about 15 minutes - until they are soft - but not mushy. Then add the tomatoes. Continue to saute for about 5 minutes.

Place the zucchini and tomatoes into a baking dish, top with parmesan cheese, and broil for about 3-4 minutes until cheese is golden brown.


I am not going to say what Chris rated this - b/c he is not a fan of zucchini, however, he LOVED the Zucchini Bread. But, my mom loved it - so rated it a 5.

Alright friends - share your memories.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks yummy! I have quite a few antique bottles as well...

Beth said...

I missed you, Ms. Mitch. Glad to have you home. Your adventures in zuking look quite tasty.

And weird - I collect bottles too. Some antique, some that I just think are beautiful - I bought a new one at the Poulsbo Antique Mall in Washington last weekend!